Sign in to follow this  
kevin07

Trout streams warmer in winter?

This may be a stupid question but would a trout stream that flows into the creek i fish have warmer water than the creek in the winter? If so would it be better to fish this side of the creek? By the way im fishing for smallmouths. I was wondering because i know the creek water is in the low thirty and i think that trout streams are usualy around fifty at the headwaters.

Without trying to sound like a wise guy, may I suggest a thermometer purchase?

Also, and I don't fish streams that much, but a spring-fed one may be warmer. Last time I fished a spring-fed creek, the water was in the high 40s in mid-winter.

I thought about a therometer but, im to cheap to get one. Guess is should invest in one. Mabe this is wrong, but someone told me that streams at the head water was always at 50 or 55 dont know if this is true but that why i was thinking the water would be warmer than the creek water. The creek had ice chunks floating down it today so i assume the water is in the lower 30s.

Spring fed, or runoff. That will be the main question. If it is a spring, it likely is the same temperature at the source all year long.

Also, a simple way to look at it is the smaller the body of water, the closer it will be to air temp.

I don't think this applies to your situation but it is relavant tot the topic.

Sometimes rivers are warmer if the dam is releasing water.  The surface may be frozen , but the water from underneath is a few degrees warmer.

Its a spring fed stream and the creek is only about a 1.5 miles from the creek. Today i saw some carp sitting at the mouth wondering if they were there cause its warmer or if it was just because it was fairly deep back water.