Sign in to follow this  
clipper

Roadtrip Fishing Conditions

Since I will be camping at the roadtrip this year on Kentucky Lake I decided I had better check the predicted weather conditions.  I did so and learned that the average highs for that time in April are in the mid-sixties, the average lows are in the mid-forties, and the record low was 21.  I can take the mid-forties OK and maybe even the mid-thirties if need be.  I will hope we don't approach the record low.

Can anyone predict what temperature water we will be fishing and whether it will be clear, dingy, or muddy?

From reports for the past 10 years. The water temp should be between 55 and 65 and the water clears up pretty fast after a rain.

Be prepared for anything. Last year the week before the roadtrip, Guntersville Alabama was having 70 degree weather and sunny. The day we get there the high was 50 with rain. The next day it was a brisk 30 degrees with 40 mph winds in the mornings.  The remainder of the week continued with this weather pattern until the final day. Take some of your hunting clothes if you don't have warm fishing clothes, anything can happen...and usually does whenever I'm involved. It's just my natural luck.

I've just been reading some fishing reports for the first week of April and they seem to be pretty consistent for good catches.  One report was for high water fishing buck brush and willows and catching big largemouth.  That is if the water is high.  I want to at least catch a few smallmouth, as I've only caught one very small creek smallmouth.  I also read that the main lake can be very rough on windy days and a lot of fishermen won't cross it in a heavy wind.  After reading the reports I'm beginning to wish I had planned for the whole week instead of 3 days.

We had really high water last year. It wasn't normal conditions. This is a river resevoir that has many conditions that will effect what patterns will be working best. I could list lures and patterns from the past but it would be a long list. I do believe there will be fish in different stages. Mostly pre-spawn and spawn.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

We all know how volatile spring weather can

be. With a little luck we'll have great weather,

but plan on some rain.

8-)

One thing is, regardless of weather or elevation, if they run water that would give us some current, some of you may experience shoulder problems.  :)

One thing is, regardless of weather or elevation, if they run water that would give us some current, some of you may experience shoulder problems. :)

Yep, for those unfamiliar with commercial river/ reservoir systems,

current trumps every other variable. For many miles below each

dam, the current is obvious, but not on the main bodies of the lakes.

However, there is still current if the dams are running their generators.

So, as long as we have water release, we will catch bass.

8-)

Does it have grassbeds and if so, what kind?  Time to get a map and see if it's on my GPS system.

Probally won't find a lot of grass that time of year unless you go south into Tn. Even then I don't know how much you'll find. There could be some grass here and there.

Do the dams have generating schedules and phone numbers to call to get them?

Yes, but only for three days of scheduled release. This will

not be of concern for us. The TVA always generates electricity

during the week, it's the weekend angler (me) that sometimes

suffers. Our biggest potential concern is too much water. It

rains a lot in the spring around here!

Seriously, the weather will probably be nice and the water perfect.

Spring is a great time of year in Kentucky and surrounding states.

We are generally well past the cold spells of winter.

8-)