Sign in to follow this  
mwbrown

Ice-out

This ice is killing me. i'm sick of ice fishing i just want to be able to cast instead of jigging a 2ft rod. So with 2-4 more weeks of ice what kinda tactics are everyone planning using for the days directly after the ice is gone.

I can't wait for the thaw either.  I am making football head jigs to use.  I am organizing the stuff I got for Christmas too.  I am waiting for some skirt material so I can finish the jigs for my Uncle in Arkansas.  By the time I can get out and cast something, I will have so much new stuff I won't know what to throw.  That's the problem with winter, the baitmonkey gets me bad.

The first baits I throw after ice-out are:

1-Jerkbaits

2-Lipless Crankbaits

3-Spinnerbaits.

Falcon

1. Lipless cranks, slow rolled

2. Lipless cranks, medium slow rolled

3. Lipless cranks, ripped

4. Suspending jerkbaits, left suspending till I can't stand it anymore, then twitch,twitch.

5. One of my swimbaits, slow rolled.

We probably have at least 6 to 7 weeks of ice left. That is all dependent on weather of course.

This ice is killing me. i'm sick of ice fishing i just want to be able to cast instead of jigging a 2ft rod. So with 2-4 more weeks of ice what kinda tactics are everyone planning using for the days directly after the ice is gone.

ice out in 2-4 weeks?!  I can only hope its that soon here....its usually the end of March here....and even then parts of lakes are still frozen...To see water in 4 weeks would be the best!   :)

ya i agree i may have thought a little to hopefull with 2-4 weeks its still about 8-10inches thick in Rhode Island. I'm thinking red lipsless crank bait and jerkbaits. Its supposed to hit 50 on sunday thought.

Here in NW NJ too much ics and I am going stir-crazy  :D not fishing. Caught my last bass on Christmas Day and just dying here reading bass threads...

Anyway, the minute my local ponds shed some ice in the northwest corners will use:

-1/8 black road runner

-3" brewer grub on 1/16 or 1/8 brewer jig head

-keep Pointer78's and some lipless cranks handy if above dont work

Slow crawl along bottom/weedlines in sunny portions of water....fish on!!!

God I need a life!

That's the problem with winter, the baitmonkey gets me bad.

Agreed... We have finally had 35-40 degree weather for about a week now. Ice went from being 16-18 inches down to about 12-14. Thats what gets my heart pumping. I've tried last weekend fishing in kayak on the outside of the ice where thawed and absolutely killed them. Sure felt good to have a bigger rod that a 2 footer, even if it was an ultralight with a bobber and jig :)

I will be throwing spinner bait, cranks and jig/pig.

my new LC pointers ;D

My ice out baits: suspending jerks, spinnerbaits, jigworms, hair jigs, very occasionally float 'n fly.

Well, march 31st is the day i get layed off so, april 1st a bunch of are goin out to a buddys grandparents farm, ride some horses to the fishing pond, and get wasted and fish all day.

Only good thing about workin for the state, is ill get to drink and fish all day everyday.

Well we've got about 30" of hardwater right now and it's not going anywhere fast... But once that's gone it'll be X-Raps and other jerkbaits.

I am heading to Lake Mead March 1st for a week of fishing.  I can hardly wait.  Warm weather and fishing from a boat.