Sign in to follow this  
jjbassjj

Small Males??!!

Took my new mod. jon boat sunday and today with similar results, all small males. Im fishing in a lake that is known for really big bass and usually i catch much bigger bags than i did. Every trip i catch at least a couple 3 and 4 pounders. With temps in the 80's for three straight days, the water temp skyrocked. In one shallow cove i saw 63. The fish were stacked up on windblown shores in the back of coves, and shallow pockets. The mainlake temps averaged 59. I caught them all pitching a green pumpkin senko. Where do yall think the big females were at? Or what couldve i done differently?

Some thoughts:

You are in VA. Slightly south (longitudinally) of me in N CO. Should be too early for spawning, but being on the coast (with Gulf Stream) you might be further advanced compared to CO.

With main lake surface at 59 that's getting close, but the temp you need to know is down at about 4 to 6 feet. My guess is your depths are still quite a bit cooler. Should be too early for spawning.

With the temp surge you have going, you might be seeing a pre-spawn surge. We are also approaching the full moon (11th), which I believe synchronizes the spawn. Together, these brought a wave of eager pre-spawners. The females are likely very nearby. They are likely tightly grouped together. You simply missed them!

The other option is that this was a feeding movement with bass moving in to pick off preyfish attracted to the heated shallows in that cove. If these are small prey, the bigger females may not be interested in them.

However, temps you mention, the numbers you saw, and the moon, I'm guessing it was a pre-spawn wave. Some males MIGHT even knock a few premature beds in.  Again, the females were probably nearby, just tightly grouped still.

An alternative possibility for female location: There's a theory, proposed by Rich Zaleski, that females will regulate egg temp by moving deeper or shallower. There is no scientific evidence for this, as far as I've been able to find, but it's something I keep in the back of my mind. Rich is an astute angler.

Either way, to find them, you might try a jig-n-trailer, creature, or spinnerbait, or lipless. The bigger females like these. The Senko's fine too, just a little slower to fish I think. Follow up with the Senko, or soft jerk.

Let us know what your follow up brings.

Thats a good sign when you catch small bass or the buck bass shallow.

Males will move in and out of the shallows weeks before the females while setting up the house so to speak.. Not saying females won't move up to sun or eat as well.

When the small bass are shallow, a good rule of thumb is to find the first break lines and work those deeper areas slow. It maybe a treeline in deeper water, a drainage ditch, a depression within a flat, creek channels, anything that offers depth to stage in.

Good luck,