Sign in to follow this  
DeBassin619

Pond Question

Any lure/presentation suggestions for fishing a pond with: very Dark,Deep, and Slightly stained water? The pond is around an acre-  to an acre and half in size. One Side of the pond has a drop off of around 40 feet and its pretty much a sand/clay bottom with some algae growth.

I did have some success earlier this month, right at the beginning of the ice out. I was ussing some x-raps model XR8's and just jigging a worm with a slip sinker off the bottom. I mostly snacked males ranging from a half to a pound and half but things have slowed down dremendlously.. LIke I've stated earlier, The water is relatively Dark but clean, with a slight stain texture to it. My friend is pretty convinced that there are some with size; Considering, noone hardly fishes it and its build down into a valley ,where no run-off can be expose to it.

Personally I would try a Senko style worm rigged wacky style fished relatively slow.  As far as colors I always seem to have good luck with watermelon red or the green pumpkin colors.

I like a 7 in power worm Red Shad or Tequilla Sunrise Color.  Either on a 1/4 oz.  Gopher Mushroom Head Jig with 2/0 Hook.  Or on a Carolina rig with 18 to 24'' leader and a 4/0 worm hook.

Works like a charm for me.  Granted the water conditions are slightly different but close.  The water I fish isnt really stained much.  But it is dark and deep.  About 40 feet.  I fish those rigs all year long and work great no matter the weather conditions.

Almost all the bass are in the 1 1/2 to 2 lb range.  Biggest was 2 lbs 4 oz.  

Let me know if you have any luck

Good Fishing! 8-)

Hello DeBassin, is this pond water a dark tannin color? Looks like tea color. In Dark water most pond life will be relatively shallow. If sunlight can not penetrate too deep most of the weed growth and insect, amphibians and prey fish will be in the upper 3rd of the water column.

Try to find out what kind of bait fish or crayfish are in there.Then I would try very bright colored lures as well as lures with rattles or big blades. The bass will locate prey using their lateral line and smell rather than visual.

goodluck and let me know if you have anymore Q's.

Hookset

Well, Come to think of it; It is rather teaish in color. Atleast, It gives that appearance in some areas, mostly around small/shallow coves and along the shoreline. I mean, its really Clean water and almost has a Lake appearance to it. But its just extremely Dark.

I honestly couldn't tell ya what type of bait fish are currently inhabiting it. Far as I know He has: Arkansaw Cats, Hybrid bluegills, Bass, and a few Flatheads stocked in it. But I'm thinking Drop-shot might be the way to go; Atleast as long as those females stay suspending before Prespawn.

I guess my next question is "How deep would the bass inhabit a pond with depth, such as this one"? I kn

ow it has alot to do with oxygen levels and such..