Sign in to follow this  
windycitybass

Finding Water Temperature From Shore

Here's a little trick I've used before. While not 100% accurate, it certainly gets really close to the actual surface temp. Use a standard meat thermometer, the kind with a with a spear about $5 at Wal-Mart. From the hobby section get yourself a bag of corks. These should look like the old wine bottle corks. Use the large one from the bag and spear the thermometer through it. Tie on some line or twine and throw it out and let it set for a few minutes. Pull it in and read the temp.

Depth-O-Therm is a neat gadget that you can tie on your line....cast it out...and get the water temperature and depth at the same time. Been around since the '50's and still sold at Netcraft!  :)

I use a swimming pool thermometer , it's well protected and floats , just attach to a line and throw it out.

i use an infared temp gun can find them at most auto stores like auto zone, napa

yea me too. got a small one online for $5.99.  It's hard to tell if it's accurate though. I kinda think it reads a few degrees higher than actual temp.

I use a standard stream thermometer. Years ago I had a Deptherm and had much worse luck with it than Crestliner.