Sign in to follow this  
bass wrangler569

New Respect for Pros!

Ok, so I have always had the utmost respect and admiration for pro fishermen and I completely consider fishing to be a sport, but I've always rolled my eyes a little bit when I've heard people say how physically taxing it is for pros to throw big crankbaits and jerkbaits all day long. Well let me tell you what, I fished a tournament today and was hammering smallies on 1 oz. pointer 128s all day and I have seen the light. I'm almost never bothered by this type of fishing but for some reason it absolutely kicked my @$$ today. I feel like somebody ran me over with a mac truck and subsequently beat with a baseball bat for good measure! I'm in pretty good shape but if I had to wake up tomorrow and do the same thing for the next three days I would be in a world of pain. I officially have new found respect for the pros.

:D

And what happens when the temperatures are in the 90s?????  ;)

Jerkbaits are the worst. My hands have been stiff and sore in the mornings for a month now. I'll be glad when the jerkbait bite is over with.

Nice post! I work out every night to be in top notch fishing shape, girlfriend says I am crazy lol Small tip for jerkbaits though is use a shorter rod 6 ft if you are shorter and 6'6' if a little taller and jerk straight down instead of off to the side. Good jerkbaits are designed to be fished like this and leave a lot less stress on your hands, arms, back, etc. Jackall and Lucky Crafts work great when jerked straight down, most were designed by the same man Seiji Kato too

I remember a double page pic in a BassMaster issue (forget who it was) where the wind had to be gusting to 30mph and the swells were at least 4ft! :o

"You're a better man than I, Gunga Din."

Kipling

skillet

I gotta add, burning a DT16 all day long in 90 plus temps. I still think the lack of rest and the mental stress wear me out the most though.

I've only fished one all-day tournament, and it wore me down. I mainly used soft plastics, so I think the sun is what did it the most. It just zapped the energy from me.

How about use big swimbait guys that toss swimbaits all day? Haha. Real fishing is tough work. But, most people don't understand that. Whether your throwing a big bait all day or working a heavy jerkbait, its tough on you.

I start off most days at the ocean casting into a flat or up to 30 mph wind using heavier equipment than I use for freshwater. I hit my spots about 4 in the morning and fish for 4-5 hours, I'm always walking the beach or a sea wall.

Then I hit my freshwater spots for a few hours and do some more walking. It's hot and humid in Florida. Do I get tired? Not very often, I'm still a kid at 63.

I have a saltwater boat and use it maybe once a week, I don't like being cooped up on a 27 footer, I prefer walking.

I'm 22 years old. I fished my first tourny last october. Temps started in the 30's that morning and hovered in the high 50's the rest of the day. Fished a buzzbait in the morning and a spinnerbait pretty much the rest of the day. Tourny was from safe light (6:30ish) til 1. A shorter tourny than most. After I got home that afternoon I passed out for 6 hours. I'M 22 YEARS OLD!!!  I shouldn't get worn out like that. I didn't use a seat tho. Yes I respect what those pro's do day in day out. On the upside tho we got 2nd out of 78 boats and banked a $426 check each for our $60/each entry. :)

Jerkbaits are the worst. My hands have been stiff and sore in the mornings for a month now. I'll be glad when the jerkbait bite is over with.

Amen brother, my wrist feels like I have stage 3 carpal tunnel, if there is such a beast.

Then you have to put in the drive or travel time to the next toury.  Also you have to eat right, in which I would think would be kind of hard to do.  Because I like to have a drink every now & again, and again.  A lot of people do not think to much about it, until they do it.

I agree, I just fished 4 days straight from daylight til close to dark each day. I mainly threw a grub. By the mid morning of the third day my back was destroyed. It didn't help that the wind blew and it rained for most of the four days.

I can't imagine throwing a crankbait or jerkbait all day for 4-5 days in a row. Of course the money helps I supose.

Hello Skillet, was it Aaron Martens on Lake Erie last year during the B.A.S.S. Elites? It was on ESPN and they had a clip showing his seasick Cameraman tossin' over the stern. :P

I remember a double page pic in a BassMaster issue (forget who it was) where the wind had to be gusting to 30mph and the swells were at least 4ft! :o

"You're a better man than I, Gunga Din."

Kipling

skillet

Thanks, hookset on 3! It was Martens and I didn't catch the clip. Have never had to endure any kind of motion sickness but could sure understand how the camerman lost his cookies :P...

skillet