Sign in to follow this  
Georgia Jeff

Bass with eggs

It seems like I catch bass all year long with "eggs" in their belly.  The eggs are about as big as your thumb and are a orangish yellow.  If bass only spawn in the spring why do I seem to catch fish with eggs all the time.

im baffled by this as well....

only seen them with eggs during the spawn....or slightly before or after normal times....as with any other animal, everyone's not the same!

so in response,......???

I haven't killed many bass so I don't know, but spring spawning fish develop eggs in fall. I've killed a lot of trout and have found it's common for them to contain eggs after the spawn -that then get resorbed.

There is also a growing issue in some waters near urban areas where male bass develop eggs on their testes. This has been linked to reproductive hormones from birth control pills usage, as well as other chemicals that act as hormone mimics.

Have to say, "big as your thumb" doesn't sound like eggs.

I've seen small egg sacks appear in bass by late July & early August; as big as my thumb is not uncommon ;)

Guys, once a female bass finishes spawning, her ovaries shrink and she immediately begins to develop eggs for the next year. It takes months for eggs to grow and develop.

It's common, even expected, to see ovaries with tiny eggs in it not long after the spawn.