Sign in to follow this  
Dock Master

Let's Talk Roadbeds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off how do you locate roadbeds?  Do you do it by looking on a map or do you do it by cruising around looking at your GPS?  Once you find them do you fish in the ditches that surround it or do you fish right on top of the road?  Also what is your favorite bait for fishing roadbeds?

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always use a map or satellite imagery to locate a roadbed.  I then try to center the boat on the roadbed and then cast to either side into the ditches.

Locate roadbeds with a map, depth finder, & time on the water

Roadbeds provide bass with a distinctive travel route with a built in edge and a variety of bottom hardness's. Concentrate on sweet spots that offer something different from the rest of the road. Sweet spots are usually located along the edge of a road and consist of but not limited to drainage culverts, ditches, washouts, rocks, old hedgerows, stump lines, fence lines, and bar ditches. With roadbeds there are usually several sweet spots not just one or two; look for these spots around sharp bends and road intersections.  

Flooded roadbeds located in the backs of major bays/creeks will hold bass during fall/spring while deeper roads on the main lake are best during summer. Roadbeds that top out 6-12' beneath the surface will always get my attention.

Many lake maps will show the old roadbed by a line across the creek or lake from where the road stops at the shoreline and goes into the water.

GMCO maps for Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina illustrate submerged roadbeds and in Kerr Reservoir, a submerged bridge.

If possible, get a map of the area before the area was flooded.  You can then see the roads, easily.

So take your maps, look for roads that dead-end at the shoreline, and then go out and use your sonar and the information from locals to find out if there is a submerged roadbed.  :)

I love to fish roadbeds especially in the summer, it's one of my go to

spots when I am ready to cast out a carolina-rig. Plus the ditches can

pretty much always hold a really nice bass.

As usual, the members have provided some good info on roadbeds so I won't repeat what they have said. I will add that the portions of the roadbed that are shallow enough for weed growth will have two inside and two outside edges of weedbeds. One inside and outside edge occurs on each side of the road. Combine an intersection of those weed edges with a culvert, an old ditch or creek, or a bend and you have found yourself a potential hotspot.

That is a good article, thanks for posting it.

I will have to try that, because I have never fished there before.  I fished Shearon Harris today and got skunked but maybe I will go to Falls lake sometime.  I will let you know how I do.

I always use a map or satellite imagery to locate a roadbed. I then try to center the boat on the roadbed and then cast to either side into the ditches.

A road bed is literally a flooded road? Wow, did not know that.