Sign in to follow this  
Scorcher214

What are fronts?

I sometimes hear about the pros talking about cold front and warm fronts, and how they affect fishing, but i never seem to understand. Can someone help me here?

Try watching your local television station between the hours of five and six PM.  Pay particular attention to the Weather Forecast.  ::)

Try watching your local television station between the hours of five and six PM. Pay particular attention to the Weather Forecast. ::)

Since you are only 16, I'll cut you some slack, though I'm certain you should have taken Earth Science by now. Maybe not...

A "front" is a boundary between to masses of air that have different characteristics.

A classic "frontal" complaint would be when low pressure, warm, humid air is replaced by a high pressure, cold air. Prefontal fishing in that condition can be very good, though once that cold front moves in, the bite can get tough.

I personally do well when their is stability in the weather for a couple of days.

I have no idea of what earth science is, I'm still using an abacus, but some of my best fishing is done about 24 hours before a hurricane when the barometer is starting to drop.

I have no idea of what earth science is, I'm still using an abacus, but some of my best fishing is done about 24 hours before a hurricane when the barometer is starting to drop.

Hurricanes.They are good for something. ;)

I have no idea of what earth science is

Without getting into all of the subtle differences, it's basically what the NYS board of Regents calls geology.

I sometimes hear about the pros talking about cold front and warm fronts, and how they affect fishing, but i never seem to understand. Can someone help me here?

I wondered the same thing (and still don't know fully how it plays into fishing) but in a very general manner, low pressure fronts are going to be when you have rainy weather, thunder storms and the like.  Fishing seem to bite better at times during this weather.  A cold pressure front is when we suddenly have a couple of days of bluebird skies and cooler temps.  The sky gets blue (and sometimes windy) with little precip but the associated front often brings cooler temps.  I'd imagine that the sudden change in either front would induce lockjaw as the fish adjust.

I've heard many people claim to just slay the bass right before a storm and right after, but when it is blue-sky and cooler the fish stick tight to cover.