Sign in to follow this  
retiredbosn

Where will bass spawn in this lake?

There is a small local impoundment that is electric motor only, it is a very popular lake with trout fishermen as it is stocked bi weekly. The bass fishing is good and is all catch and release on bass. The lake lays north to south, the dam is at the northern end and the feeder creek at the southern, lots of flooded timber. The eastern end of the lake is typically loaded with bank fishermen after trout, the western end bank is the bottom of a steep ridge and basically inaccessable to bank fishermen. I have drawn a crude map of the lake, the northern end where the dam is has a broad flat in front of it, then it has a two to three foot slant and another flat. The southern end is silt covered, quite a bit of underwater grasses,etc. the eastern end is out due to the pressure I would think, and the western end although probably the best bet, I don't think is where they will spawn due to the lack of sun, (a couple of hours in the morning). So what do you think, where would the bass spawn. BTW the green on the map is the flooded timber, the round circle is an island, and the long line with a box is the handicap dock.

post-16268-130163011933_thumb.jpg

My thoughts (ie guesses :) )...

--the north end will show spawning activity first due to warmer water.  Similarly, they'll also finish spawning earlier than those fish on the south end

--the location of the beds will likely be dictated by water clarity and bottom hardness

I'd most definatly hit the NW corner of the lake.  Good deepwater access with little pressure and the only shallow area on that side of the lake.  

I would definitely experiment with the shallowest flooded timber when the sun gets hot. Maybe a split/drop shot finesse tactic?