Sign in to follow this  
volfan60

Top Water Temps

Hey guys, what are the ideal water temperatures for fishing topwater baits.

thanks

I fish topwaters from spring through fall. There's no set temperature, but they seem to work for me when the water is 55°+. You're a lot further south than I am and I don't know if there's such a thing as water getting too warm for topwaters.

i throw top water in the spring and fall mostly. Once the water temp hits 57-60 degrees ill start mixing it in with cranks. Once they are in full spawn at 65ish ill really hit the shallows with top water baits. In the summer they tend to progress to a little deeper water to escape the hot surface temps and i tend to fall back to my jerks and cranks looking for underwater cover and ledges.

JJ :)

I started getting hits and my fist topwater this year a few weeks back when water hit 53 so id guess 55 would be perfect,

Also im in nc this was on lake wiley nc/sc border

i've been out for bass about 6 times in the past 4 weeks and all i've used was the same 2 top water lures (storm hopper poppers) and i'm already closing in on a mix of 100 bass, pickerel, sunfish.

your south of me so top water has to be fine for you.  i would say around 55-60 degree would be considered a good time to start with top water however it could be much earlier

I don't worry about the water temp. I let the fish tell me when to top water fish. When I notice them up top or shallow chasing stuff, I will put something top water on and hammer them. Be careful alot of times when stuff is smacking the top it is bluegill. Good luck.