Sign in to follow this  
WRB

Night colors.

Can bass see different colors at night? Can bass see different colors in 50' of water during the day?

The answer is; would seem like they can as bass can be very choosy at times about colors, day or night.

With all the science, one study contradicts the other, however on the water experience is the best source of information, let the bass answer it.

Out west we fish very deep during the winter period at time, over 50'.

If you don't have the right color flakes in a worm, for example, it can make a big difference when everything else is identical. Obviously the bass can see down in 50' of water, with good clarity, very well.

Bill Murphy, in his book Pursuit of Giant Bass relates a story when night tournament fishing; the bite stopped for him and his partner kept catching them. Bill had run out of the black worms he started with and open a new bag. The ones he started with were the same as his partners. The new bag didn't have the brown stripe the first bag did. Same DeLong 10" worms; black with brown stripe, he picked up in the dark the all black color and could not see the difference, however it made a big difference.

We have all experienced something like that, if you fish often.

A few years back I was night tournament fishing and the bite stopped. My partner started to catch bass using a dart jig with smoke grub on light spinning tackle. I couldn't believe he even had the outfit with him at night, good thing he did!

The high % baits are black or dark colors with contrast at night, but that doesn't mean all the time or on every lake. If black doesn't work, go to your daytime stuff and it may work, if you give the bass a chance to make the choice for you.

WRB

I've seen times when color made absolutely no difference at all, I've seen times when color make all the difference in the world, and I've seen times when I had to change colors after every other bass caught.

Disclaimer: The above statement is based on personal experience not some scientific studies where humans answer questions of what bass perceive color to be.

As much as it helps our egos to think we understand bass we don't ;)

as your buddie did. he had the right lure at the right place an time ,old but true,nitghtime colors. way bottom  of my list.vibrate lures they hear lures way before they see them.

i would say if there is a full moon on a clear night, color would probably matter more than it would if it where a night with no moon and it was really dark out...water clarity probably has somthing to do with it also...i use the same stuff i use in the day time...sometimes a white spinnerbait at night will out fish a black one..