Sign in to follow this  
bigfish88

rain?

do you guys have success in the rain?

Yes.

I have had good success when using plastics during the rain. I have tried spinners and cranks with not much luck. I am no expert so this is a theory. I think a lot of it depends on what kind of surroundings are at the lake. Example: If there are a lot of over hanging trees at the lake, the fish at might be more adept to looking for critters that are falling from the limbs during a rain. Try fishing some lures that might resemble them, like lizards, small poppers or jitterbugs...things like that.

do you guys have success in the rain? do the fish bite, does it even matter?

This thread could go a few different ways. Ill try to cover 3 of them here.

Early in the season(Pre Spawn)

The water is still cold and warm rain can draw the fish closer to the surface. I would rather not be out at this time in the rain seeing as it would still be quite chilly out. Especially if you got wet.

Spawn

If you can find the fish on the nests you have a real good chance at getting them. Most of the time you will not due to cold rain, Rising water etc. Usually pushing the fish downwards. But they could still be caught once you find where they are at and what cover they are holding.

Post Spawn

This has to be my favorite time to fish in the rain. The fish are down a few feet and the bit is usually pretty good. I feel this is because they are more cautious after spawn and feel more comfortable with their surroundings(cant see as far etc..) Just like big bucks, in fog or rain or even overcast days.

If they are spawn or post spawn i would throw Spinners or anything that can cause a good bit of vibration. Ive done very well with buzz baits mid afternoon with stained water with a light rain.

Here are a few good tips.

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/rain.html

The fish don't care if it rains, they're already wet. ;)

I've had killer days in the rain, and not so killer. Sometimes the pressure change turns them on, sometimes it turns 'em off.

Personally, I'll want stable weather, whatever it is. Doen't matter if it's bright and sunny or cloudy and rainy: as long as it's been like that for 4-5 days or more, I know I'm slammin' fish.

Yes you can have a great day fishing in the rain.

I would use any type of topwater during the rain.  If they don't seem to like that I may use a spinnerbait.

I'd take rain over sun any day of the week for fishing, and not just for bass, but for trout and crappie.

95% of my fishing is from a float tube, so the rain won't mess with any of my equipment (it's all canvas and rubber), and I just get a good feeling while fishing in the rain.  If any of you on the forums had your dads cut holes in black garbage bags to make easy ponchos, you know what I mean.

Last time it rained here I fished the base pond with some of those Spro Bronzeye frogs, and I tore em up!