Sign in to follow this  
CyBasser

Poppers: With or without a split ring???

Hi everybody,

Over the last few days two friends of mine have been arguing on the pros and cons of using a split ring on poppers.

One guy has been insisting that since manufacturers provide poppers without split rings, that's how they are designed to work - the split ring would cause extra action.

The second guy has been using a split ring throughout the summer, and as a result his poppers move side to side instead of only forward. He likes this extra action and the fact is that he caught quite a few (if small, 1-2lb) bass using the split ring.

The first (non-split ring) guy believes that it was a coincidence. I personally believe though that indeed the extra action provided by the split ring may have resulted in the fish, as such a presentation was new to our waters. Poppers (of all brands but mostly Skitterpops) are frequently used in our reservoirs, though I have to admit that this past summer and fall very few bass came on them - the only person I know who had been catching bass consistently on poppers was the "split-ring" guy.

I believe that the guy who has been using split rings might be right - the fact that manufacturers don't put a split ring doesn't mean that poppers can't be used with one (most spook-type lures come without split rings as well yet they work better with them). And as I see it, it is quite probable that the different action provided by the split ring may have been the key for the guys' better results.  

What is your opinion on this?

Walkin the dog with a Pop-R or a Skitterpop is deadly, and nearly impossible when the line is tied directly to the bait. I used a loop knot for a while to facilitate this retrieve, but i can't seem to get a loop knot tied worth a hoot. Lost quite a few fish, and baits, to bad loop knots. I don't know what my malfunction is, but I gave up and started using split rings on my poppers. Works much better for me.

If you're using the pop and stop retrieve, this probably has little or no advantage.

I like the oval rings better than round ones. I started putting those on all my cranks that see regular use.

tp://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=30197&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=10&hvarSubCode=5&hvarTarget=browse

I have not used a split ring on poppers. If a walk the dog presentation is needed, typically I will use a spook type bait for that situation. I guess I am just thinking inside the box on this one....

I always add split rings on all of my popper/spook type baits. The split ring gives the bait a wider range of movement, which gives the bait more action.

i use a split ring on poppers as well. you can get the same results with a loop knot but i dont like the knot strength on a loop, especialy on braid.

If I'm fishing a popper fast and want more spit, splash and walking, I will use a snap.  If I just want to make slow, deep, "bloop" noises, I tie direct.

As for walking baits, it is a lost art, but I do not remember any of the true Spook users ever using snap or ring.  Charlie Campbell was probably the best walker ever.  He could do things with a Spook I would never be able to do.

Brad