Sign in to follow this  
BD

Deep(er) or Shallow(er) right now?

I usually only fish for smallies in the fall/spring. It's COLD right now. Water temp is probably 45-47.

If I were to go bank fishing at a great smallie lake around me, would I generally find them RIGHT NOW deep still or shallow?

May be a stupid question to you who fish for them often, so sorry.

Not stupid question. Sunday afternoon w/ high pressure calm post frontal conditions I caught em' in 4-8 ft, a couple weeks before that with a dropping barometer and overcast stormy/ windy conditions I caught em' in 15-30ft. I mention these 2 situations because they are bassackwards of what you would expect. Having said that I guess the only real way to figure out if they are deep or shallow, is go give em' a try and try to match your tactics to the conditions, and if that doesnt work then do the opposite, if that doesnt work then do somethin in between.

45 degrees isn't really cold for smallies. You can always find them shallow even in the lower 30's. It all depends on conditions and food supply. If this temp is your winter temp than I would start deep and work shallow. Large groups of smallies will school up in the winter and suspend deep off of drops. I only fish from a boat so thats makes it easy. Shore fishing is another story.

Focus on structure and current if that is an option. Smallmouth can be found at all depths at different times. Personally, I like to target structure is deeper water where the fish receive less pressure, but when fishing from the bank you can't always be picky.