Sign in to follow this  
fishingfourfun

Schooled by Fourteen Year Old Daughter

Let me preface this story by telling you that I have been telling my daughter for weeks of my fishing prowess.  I was quite confident of my abilities even though I have never fished for small mouth.  The day we have been waiting for has arrived and I was filled with anticipation.  We hired a local guide (Max McCallister) to take us on my dream trip.  He picked us up from the motel and we set off around 7 am.  The boat was launched at Enola, Pennsylvania.  To my surprise we started fishing at the launch facility.  It was a small creek that was flowing into the Susquehanna.  He told us that the fish had been staging there for the past couple of weeks.  The fishing had been tough because of the "Nor'easter" we had.  The winds have been howling with a terrible drop in the mercury.  The current was really moving eliminating many fishing spots.  We soon moved to our second spot where the real story begins!  We had been there for around thirty minutes with no success.  My daughter looked as if she was losing interest.  She was sitting at the end of the boat just casting and reeling her tube in with no real intention of catching a fish, so I thought.  She said she must have caught a piece of "wood".  We looked back and watched with dismay as her fishing Pole was dancing all around.  It was not until the fish was around 20 feet from the boat when she first saw it and exclaimed "I caught a fish" and really perked up!  I had just told her moments earlier that I would buy her 5 IPOD songs to the first person that caught a fish.  I never believed it would be her!!!  She reeled in her first "smallie" and was very proud.  The fish was around 15 inches.  The next step is where we began to see the error of our ways!  In my excitement to start the day I of course forgot the digital camera. >:( This moment is not likely to be forgotten anytime soon by daughter, fiance or myself.  The guide told me not to worry that he had a camera.  To his surprise his daughter charged the batteries to his camera and forgot to put it back in the camera.  As we sat in the boat with disbelief my great idea hits me. I have a camera cell phone.  So we did manage a picture of her first "smallie".  It was another hour or so before I caught mine.  We caught six in all and had a wonderful day!  I would recommend Max to anyone especially if you are fishing with kids.  Max took the time to teach my daughter on how to cast, presentation of the bait, detect a bite'and land a fish. He taught us about the river as well as fishing.  It was a very memorable days for a father and daughter.  As most father's could tell you is that time passes by so quickly.  I am glad that I am beginning with a four year old to start the process again!  I would highly recommend Max and can't wait to go again September.  Although I have temporarily lost my king crown of fishing, I fully expect to gain it back in two weeks while the family and I are out on Lake Anna waters for the weekend.  

Nice story.