Sign in to follow this  
WhiteMike1018

Using Ikas for Smallies

For everyone out there using Ika's for smallies I had a few quick questions.

If you guys are fishing in 10-15 feet of water or deeper are you still throwing them?

it seems like it would take a while for them to get in the strike zone, as opposed to a tube on a jig head...besides the 5/0 ewg gammy hook on it, you think this could be rigged differently to get in the strike zone faster?

Thanks -WM  ::)

I fish the Fat Ika in water <12' deep, skirt up, weedless and weightless only.

im with RW on this one but i usually dont even go to 12 feet.  fat ikas are one of my very favorite baits and i rig them exactly how RW does.  i just think there are almost always better options for deep water than a slow sinking bait like an ika or senko.  can you catch fish with it? sure.  but your gonna be spending a lot of time with your bait in unproductive water and im usually gonna go for a tube or jig in the deeper water.

matt

And I'm with Matt. In what I consider "deep" water I fish weighted soft plastics or hard baits: Mizmo 3 1/2" tube (Kent's Classic), GYCB Single Tail Hula Grub and 3" grubs; lipless cranks this time of year and Ledgebuster Single Willow Blade spinnerbaits; and you gotta try a jig!

hey mike even though 12 feet or less is the best i have fished the ika in like 25 feet and its not that bad they dont sink as slow as a regualr weightless plastic sense they kinda swim down. if you dont have a large deep area go for it its produced for me on some nice 8-25ft drops

Yeh i was maybe thinking of adding a small split-shot weight right above the hook eye where the skirt is, it would probably be hidden by the skirt and would fall at my desired speed...anyone tried this?

Yeh i was maybe thinking of adding a small split-shot weight right above the hook eye where the skirt is, it would probably be hidden by the skirt and would fall at my desired speed...anyone tried this?

I dont usually use fat ikas that deep but you might try putting a small nail in the lure rather than a split shot above the hook Just my 2 cents.

a small splitshot will not ruin the action.  ive done it before in the wind when i was having trouble maintaining contact with the bait.  ill also sometimes add a northlands rattle that will look alot like craw claws in the defensive position, and add a little weight.

ive added a split shot more to stay in contact with the bait rather than to increase fall rate.  i sitll think there are generally better deep water options.