Sign in to follow this  
logger

Where would you start looking?

Hey guys I have an online map of the Mio Pond where I spend most of my fishing time.  Take a look and if you can tell me where you would focus your smallmouth fishing according to the map.The old river channel is approximately 19-22 ft. I understand its not a terrific map. Our season opens saturday and I am assuming that water temps may be around 45-52. The water is rediculously clear. There are lots of stumps  throughout the lake as well.

I would like to see if you guys see something I don't

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/SPATIALDATALIBRARY/PDF_MAPS/INLAND_LAKE_MAPS/OSCODA/MIO_POND.PDF

There appear to be two prominant points coinciding with sharp bends in the original channel. The more defined point (bottom/ central portion of the map) looks particularly interesting to me.

There appear to be two prominant points coinciding with sharp bends in the original channel. The more defined point (bottom/ central portion of the map) looks particularly interesting to me.

Thanks RW. I'll definately be cheching those spots this year.

In that ultra-clear water, be sure to pay close attention to line type, size, and lure selection.

Already do, thanks.

Find the warmer waters.  Don't cast until you do. I would think the upper lake would have the darker color and probably warmest water, do check the north coves, but who knows?  1000 acres is not that hard to check out unless you have a motor restriction.  Next, I would start trying to put together a pattern based on bottom type and slope. I've never fished a natural lake in MI early in the year, but I'm betting on warmth, maybe shallow bays with wood/boulders.  Maybe they congregate where the sand contacts the rock and boulders? Maybe there's some bits of vegetation to check out.

I'm going to start using a suspended jerkbait in clear, natural colors, then I'll go to a smoke grub rigged on a jig head using a very slow sleady retrieve close to the bottom.  If the warmest bays don't pan out, then I'm going to the points closest to them also using the jerkbait, and maybe a pumpkin tube. Keep moving until you find the fish. My rule is 10 fan casts  per new spot, then I move on to another possible place. The wind can be a real ally in clear waters.  Look for those ripply waters for help in making those finicky bass catchable. Wish I had time to go fish this lake.  Maybe I will! Nick

Find the warmer waters. Don't cast until you do. I would think the upper lake would have the darker color and probably warmest water, do check the north coves, but who knows? 1000 acres is not that hard to check out unless you have a motor restriction. Next, I would start trying to put together a pattern based on bottom type and slope. I've never fished a natural lake in MI early in the year, but I'm betting on warmth, maybe shallow bays with wood/boulders. Maybe they congregate where the sand contacts the rock and boulders? Maybe there's some bits of vegetation to check out.

I'm going to start using a suspended jerkbait in clear, natural colors, then I'll go to a smoke grub rigged on a jig head using a very slow sleady retrieve close to the bottom. If the warmest bays don't pan out, then I'm going to the points closest to them also using the jerkbait, and maybe a pumpkin tube. Keep moving until you find the fish. My rule is 10 fan casts per new spot, then I move on to another possible place. The wind can be a real ally in clear waters. Look for those ripply waters for help in making those finicky bass catchable. Wish I had time to go fish this lake. Maybe I will! Nick

If you are up here sometime let me know. Thanks for the reply

I  think the areas RW spoke of look good as well. I would really look on your depth finder for the band size to interpret if there is any hard bottom though. Also, use a tube and a 1/4oz jig head to get a feel of the bottom. Look for emerging grass, chunk rock or a gravel bottom. This time of year, deep water next to shallow flats is the place to look. If it is around 52 or so I would think they would be hanging in the general area of a deep area near a gravel flat. Also, in clear water the smallies might be spawning in up to 12-18 feet of water. Back off and work your way in. I have seen smallie beds in the gin clear lake near me in almost 20ft or water. If it is that clear be sure to use #6 or #8 test. You will get more bites. I think a tube, Senko, jerk bait or grubs would be your best shot. Don't be afraid to use a Zoom Centipede with a 1/4oz Mojo weight about 18 inches up the line either. JMO Good luck.

If I was putting in for the first time, I would start just southwest of grid 3/2/10/11 where you have a large point just below the old river bed.  If the water temp is where you forecast it to be look for drop offs where they will hang in deeper water and then come up as the water warms during the day.

Also looks like there is a maybe a bridge crossing, try there and the point beyond.