Sign in to follow this  
Mobydick

Awesome weekend for smallies!!!!!!!

This last weekend was great! Friday night I went to my local crick for some smallies, caught 3. Saturday afternoon, I fished a few hundred yards of crick(the same crick), and caught 11 on a rapala shad rap, perch. On the way back down the crick, I used a Zoom supper fluke, Arkansas shiner color. I had more hits than I can count, and just as many follows. I think my hook was to small for that fluke. Yesterday was the best though. I started at one on the afternoon, had my first smallie at a quarter 'till 2, a nice 4 and 1/4 pounds, 18 and 1/2 inches, on a chartreuse and brown bandit crankbait. Then I landed 3 bass between 15 and 17 inches on a white red eye special spinnerbait by Strikeking. Then finished off with a 10 incher on a rocket shad, also white. And then I had to leave, thats the worst part, cause I think they would have hit better later, I left at 4:30.

That's a great day. Congratulations!

Guest avid

I rarely visit this forum because the rumours that there are no smallmouth bass in florida are sad, but true.

I miss smallie fishing reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaalll bad.

It was my favorite for years.

I used to go with my buddy.  Our favorite trip was on the wallkill river in NY.

He would park his truck at one bridge.  Then we would drive in my truck to the next bridge and fish our way back to his truck.  It was an all day event.  We would pause about halfway between the two bridges. Complete wilderness setting and build a little fire on the bank.  Then we would cook up some fresh caught smallie fillets for lunch.  

These were some of the happiest days of my life.

I *** you guys. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

avid

I rarely visit this forum because the rumours that there are no smallmouth bass in florida are sad, but true.

I miss smallie fishing reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaalll bad.

You guys have suwannee smallmouth bass (micropterus notius) in northern Florida.

http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/bass.html

Yes Avid, I am with you and I am sure RW feels the same. Its hard to beat smallie fishing. It just does not get any better. Pound for pound they are awesome fish. They are aggressive, at least a lot of the time and fight hard. :)

Hey Countryboy. I would like to put my thoughts in on how to rig your Flukes for smallies you  so maybe it can help you. We all rig them different and it depends where you are fishing but, for the fish in the rivers here in Western Maryland and Central PA. I have found that after throwing every color imaginable for smallies its hard to beat just a pearl white fluke. I usually dip the tail, just slightly in chartreuse Spike it. Actually I use the pen type Spike It markers. I rig my flukes with a 3/0 Owner offset hook. Not a wide gap. I also put a 1/64th Gremlin Bullshot clamped right at the nose. Keep the hook in the open and don't bury it or skin hook it just position the Fluke about center of the bend in the hook. Some of the guys use a barrel swivel around here about six inches up the line. The way I expressed works perfect for the smallies here. Hope that helps. Good luck and have fun. :)