Sign in to follow this  
IdahoLunkerHunter

Smallies Heatin' up in Northern Idaho

The smallies are heating up on Lake Pend Oreille and the River. If anyone want a fishin buddy I have the gear and the knowledge. I have a questions also... I have need some monster fish 6lb+ jumping and surfacing at dusk, and don't have much a clue for what lure to throw. I've been through all my tackle, tweaked buzzbaits for top water, plugs, and i've gone old school with jitter baits. I haven't had any luck, so I stick with my usual. Anyone have any suggestions.

post-8793-130163018187_thumb.jpg

I would focus on jerkbaits exclusively, specifically Lucky Craft Pointer 100. I have had some VERY strong recommendations for the Slender Pointer, but I have not fished them much...yet.

Just my two cents. RW gave you a good bait. I would also try a small no. 10 floating Rapala or a Bomber Long A but, up your hooks to no. 4's. Also, try a Zara Puppy or Spittin Image and don't forget the Senkos. Try a dark melon/gold flake on #8 test and spinning gear.Good luck. :)

Any sort of Fluke style bait.

Pend Orielle, what a great lake.  I have family that lives up there, Sandpoint, St. Maries and Potlatch.  Every summer we visit them and I always hit the lake when I'm in Sandpoint.  The smallies there are fantastic.  I've never encountered another lake with such a nice population of bass.  I'm sure there are others that rival it but nothing I've encountered in Virginia comes close.  There are some monsters in there, we've caught a few and I've seen pics of others family members have caught.  Well tight lines, you're a lucky man. :D