Sign in to follow this  
Lucky Craft Man

Spawning Smallmouth Fishing Question

I am seeking some advice from the more experience smallmouth bass fisherman.  On the lake I fish, the smallmouth seem to have flooded the shallows, but won't hit a thing.  They will follow a jerkbait, but soon lose interest in it.  I've tried drop shot, senkos, gruds, tubes, spinnerbaits, rattle traps, and crankbaits.  The only thing they have any interest in is the jerkbaits, but still won't touch them.  Does anyone know a tip in how I can get these suckers to bite?  It is very frustrating seeing a 5lb. smallmouth look at your lure only to turn and swim away.  Any hints or tips would be much apprecitated.  Thanks!

The water is crystal clear with a bottom composed of rocks, some of which are pretty large.  The smallmouth are in 7 to 10 feet of water and it's hard to tell if they are on beds, because unlike silty bottom, where you can see a distinct bed swept out, there is no clear indicator.  The smallmouth seem to travel a long way following the jerkbait, sometime even to the boat, therefore; they don't seem to be tight to any area.

Have you tried throwing tubes? Maybe with a football head on the inside or a regular tube head? I usually use white. I throw it on spinning gear 8-10 pound test. Also try dragging a grub around the large rocks.

Sometimes it take a while to make them bit.  Smallies will eventually get ticked and strike.  I have thrown a tube and grub at a single fish for an hour before getting him to strike.  Don't give up.  

maybe try changing up the colors you are using?

When the reaction bite is not working, go back to soft plastics: GYCB Fat Ika, Hula Grub, grubs and Laminated Lizard. My favorite Gitzit is usually VERY productive: 3 1/2" Mizmo tube, Kent's Classic (squash green). Also, line diameter and visibility can be crucial. Spool up some 6 lb test (diameter) line. I fish Yo-Zuri Hybrid and Hybrid Ultra Soft #4 (.009") & #6 (.010"). In very clear water the original formula Hybrid may be advantageous.

I've been fishing clear water smallies up here lately and what has been working is perch coloured X-Raps and 4" black w/red flake tubes on 1/4 oz jigs.

The X-Rap has to be worked properly though and that's VERY aggressively. If your arm isn't hurting after a 1/2 hour throwing the X-Rap, you're probably not doing it right. I have an article I wrote on my website about fishing an X-Rap if you're interested.

for the tube, if you can't see the beds, then I would just pull up on an area, throw the X-Rap to get them to follow it, then throw the tube in the direction the bass came from and work it slowly back for a few casts. Then fan cast the area just to try and pick off any other spawners nearby.

Good luck!

Chad

Hey BadChad, how are you doing? Are you still posting on NAFC? How is the fishing in British Columbia these days? It's good to see you posting on this site.

Falcon (RAZZOPARDI)