Sign in to follow this  
BigT

Smallmouth Bass

Welcome aboard!

Although I voted "Soft Plastics," my best producer has always been live minnows fished on a split shot rig.

Soft pastics that have worked for me include the GYCB Fat Ika, Hula Grub, grubs and Laminated Lizard.

I also HIGHLY recommend 3 1/2" Mizmo tubes, Kent's Classic (squash green). In low light, jerkbaits and topwater have proven successful. I have had some luck with the 3/4 oz Ledgebuster Single Willow Blade spinnerbait, but haven't fished it as much as I would like.

One of the biggest smallmouth I have ever caught on an artificial lure was fooled by a 1/2 oz Micro Munch Tackle jig (black)/ GYCB Fat Baby Craw (black w/ blue flakes). However, my overall success fishing a jig has been limited.

Hey welcome.  I fish for smallies a lot in upstate NY and i use mostly cranks.  I do have to agree with RW on the fact that live minnows and live frogs work rather well for them.  Anyways welcome to the boards and tight lines.

SteveL

I have to go with plastics, especially tubes and senkos.  Out west here we're not permitted to use live minnows.   Would love to come back east and try them. :D