Sign in to follow this  
JCrzy4Bass

Difficulty Hook Setting Spinners

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie at bass fishing.  Started seriously about a week and a half ago.  I caught three my first day fishing the occoquan in va.  All dinks, biggest weighing in at a whopping pound.  I caught two on min-strike king spinners and had no trouble as they were sluggish.  The other was caught on a rapala f-5 fire tiger.

Anyway, I caught two at Lake Ridge boating last Sunday in Va with my father.  Fought one to the boat to have him jump out about two feet away from me and release the hook.  The other I caught from the dock after we returned the boat, fought him about four to five feet from the rail and he exploded through the water releasing the hook.  I figured it was bad luck that day and called it that.  But then I fished a local pond at veterans park the very next day and caught two lunkers in the open water during feeding time around 7pm.  They were hitting topwater hard so I was skirting the spinner so the blade was almost splashing the water as it does not get bigger than 3 feet deep in the middle.  Anyway both of these suckers had my lure for about a good 10-15 seconds.  I wrestled with the first one without a solid hookset.  But the second I was sure I hooksetted and he exploded out of the water letting go again like the first.  One can imagine my frustration.  IT is certainly a different fight than a cat or carp.  You have to constantly worry about that explosion that will release the hook.  My guess is I'm not getting good hooksets in.  The second one I had the rod tip at about 90 degrees while I was reeling straight in front of me cause I thought your suppossed to have it low when reeling a spinner.  When I saw the line go tight and move to the left a little with the run I snapped the rod upward to about my head level in front of my eyes.  I thought I had it.  Four loses in two days.  Is that common with spinners or is there another technique I should be trying to hook set?  

Anyone who could supply any help, I'd appreciate it.

If anyone is curious I used a Yellow Matzuo 1/4 Ounce Spinner yesterday to catch the two big ones, and the day before I was using white/bleeding mini-strike king spinners.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the quality of these spinners?  From what I hear they are rated pretty well.  Thanks for any help in advance.

BTW I'm not positive if they were small mouth or large mouth because I didn't get a close enough look obviously but the ones I caught at occoquan were all small.

Jason

Is there any specific way to do that?  I haven't had a hard look at how they are attached on spinners yet, but I can check my tackle box when I get home.  What kind of hooks would you recommend if I did that?  I normally use Gamakatsu for my worm hooks (texas rigged), and mustad or lazer sharp eagle claw for my catfish pole.  Any that are better for bass?  Certain kinds of shape?  Just trying to get all the info I can on catching these crazy guys.  Thanks man.

I would buy some Mustad Triple Grip trebles in a size bigger than currently on the spinners.  The triple grips are much harder for fish to throw due to their shape and bigger treble get a much better "bite" into the fish to reduce pull-offs.

mustadtg.gif

Chad

Thanks for the advice man.  Spinners won't work any differently with a treble hook on them?  I don't want to sacrifice presentation and workability of the lure.  Just making sure.  If it will work, I'm willing to try it.  But the hooks on my spinners are also pretty big right now, what size trebles would you recommend for mini-strike king or matzuo?  It doesn't really say the size of the hook on the spinners boxes, least I don't remember it saying and I'm not good at eyeing yet.  Is there an average size to use on those?

I do use those mustad triple grips on my rapalas.  I just bought them at bass pro two weeks ago in Hampton, I'm in the process of changing out all my floaters and rat-l-traps to those right now.  I'm going to put them on my rooster tails soon after, I just have to buy more because I only bought an 11 pack.

So just thought I'd throw an update not that it's a big deal. But after missing those 4 bigun's this week I hooked up tonight at my local pond with a dink haha! I only fished an hour kinda scouting around the shoreline near the lilly pads a bit. It had just stormed so it was muggy and there were a lot of bugs. But I tried my rat l trap for 20 mins with no hits or action, switched to a rooster tail but it was pulling in moss wherever I worked it. So I went weightless senko texas rigged and finally got a solid hook set when I felt the tug on the line. I waited a minute for him to take the whole 4" worm and then hook set hard pulling up to about head level. After I returned the tip down low and played the fish, letting him go in the direction he wanted just guiding him to the shore. He even barrel rolled out of the water once but I had him good and he stayed on. I was pleased just to finally pull another in. Keep in mind it's only my fifth one and I'm happy just getting experience at this point. Anyway, here's a pic of the little dude. Let him go right away cause he bled just a bit from the mouth and I wanted to get him back to the water. When I rig my texas style setups I use Gamakatsu worm hooks. I love those.

post-9676-130163018242_thumb.gif

This was my first and only fish weighing in at "at least" 1 lb even last week at Occoquan.  My first real accomplishment.

post-9676-130163018247_thumb.gif

Sorry man!  I thought you were talking about IN-LINE spinners, not spinnerbaits.  For spinnerbaits I use the Mustad Pro Stingers in the 2/0 size.  I use a peice of surgical tubing (comes with the hooks) to keep the hook on the spinnerbaits main hook.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012130115213a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=Mustad+Pro+Stinger&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Mustad+Pro+Stinger&noImage=0

Another thing to consider is that maybe you're not using a stiff enough rod.  Bass should rarely be able to throw a spinnerbait.  I use a 6' medium heavy Quantum Tour Edition rod with a Accurist PT baitcaster spooled with 17 lb test Mustad Thor line.  This way I can get a really solid hookset to drive the main hook and stinger home.

Chad

It's cool man.  Yes the only reason I use a medium power is because I like the fight the bass put up with that.  I was actually looking for a light pole when I bought it but the sports authority I went to didn't have one.  I think I just need practice and I am going to try sharper hooks on the spinners though.  Thanks for that link I may check those out since I already use Mustad single snelled hooks on my cat pole.  I my just go out and buy some to add onto my spinners I buy this week.  Talk to you later man.  I appreciate all the info.

Make sure your hooks are sharp.When you are fighting the fish watch your line and feel the fish,you can tell wich way he wants to go,allways continue to stay with the fish,if he jumps do not let the slack at all or he will be gone.I lost a solid 8lb bass this week end looking back for the net instead of watching my fish,he jumped and was gone,that was my fault good hookset but slack line,he came up and said, bye bye bone head.Keep your line tight and have fun.Bob :)

Thanks Bob.  That's real helpful.  One last question though.  If you have to keep the line tight do you recommend when playing the fish keeping the rod up solid eye level after the hook set or returning it back down and just pulling?  I figure you'd have less slack if it's up and you can pull back to keep tight if they jump.  Am I wrong?

No you realy want to follow the fish ,but as he gets tire you can usually bring him were you need to get him in.But,the last thing you want is to let him jump.so by keeping the rod up you are encouraging him to jump.Play the fish in the direction he is going, dont let him come up and keep tight line.with a lot of weeds around or any kind of structure he will go for that ,so you will have to keep his head up,but just stay with him as he jumps.I like to back reel when fighting a big fish this will keep the line tight and allow the fish to fight himself out and not put to much stress on your line.Hope this helps.Bob