Sign in to follow this  
NEBassMan

New to smallmouth

Hey guys, i'll be heading to Colorado the 16th of next month for my first try at smallies. Wife and i going to visit friends and my buddy and i are going to sneak away.  He doesn't fish for smallmouth, so i turn to you guys for help.  I want to try throwing some grubs, as i never have before.  What kind of jighead and size are you using on 3" and 4" grubs?  We'll be fishing from the bank at a reservoir that he says has 3' visibility.  Also, from the bank, what other types of baits do you guys suggest?

Thanks for all your help.

Jason

I have been absolutely KILLING them on senkos in the river texas rigged weightless. Caught a four or five pounder last night and catch mostly larger fish on the 5" senkos. I have some 7" senko type baits coming today, I hope to catch some monsters on those. I would also give a super fluke a shot.

Fat Ika, weightless and weedless.

Fish with spinning tackle, #6 Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft and 4/0 EWG Gamakatsu Offset Worm Hooks.

Does anybody throw grubs anymore....ha ha ha. ;D

I'm definitely going to order some Fat Ika's, and have tons of Senkos already.  Anything else?

Also RW, is spinning tackle just a preference for you or does it seem to make a difference when it comes to fishing these baits?  Also, with the Ika, what is your preference for moving the bait?  Lifting, dragging, etc?

Thanks for all the help.

Jason