Sign in to follow this  
smallie951

Hook Size

Hey all - first time post - long time smallie fan.

My question is on Hook size and type for smallies - using plastics.  

What is the best hook size for smallies when fishing a 5" Zoom Baby Brush hog?

How about a 6" Senko?  4" Senko ?   Or a good old fashioned 6" power worm ?  

On type, do you prefer the Ultra wide gap, wide gap, offset shank, etc.  

I'm always looking to get better hookset / strike %.  

Welcome aboard!

I fish 4/0 EWG Gamakatsu Offset Worm Hooks on most soft plastics. With baits less than 4" long, you might want to go with a 2/0 or 3/0 EWG.

I use 5/0 gamakatsu ewg hooks for fat ika's, and 5/0 standard worm hooks for 5" senkos. 2/0 ewg for smaller tube baits and smaller senkos.

I fish a 1/0 offset shank hook with a 4" Senko. The smaller hook lets me catch a lot of goggle eye as well as smallies, spots, and largemouth. I see plenty of advantage, and no disadvantage to the smaller hook size in my little river.

I use a bigger 3/0 wide gap hook with the 5" Senko.

I use a 3/0 for about all of my smallie fishing with the exception of Senko's I use a 2/0 EWG. I pour all my leadheads with a 3/0 nickel coated hook. For Flukes I use a straight 3/0 hook with a offset made by owner.

I like all the gamakatsu hooks mentioned, but would avoid the O'Shaughnessy bend hooks.  Thier hook point bends upward ( it does not lie-flat on plastic baits ) making skin hooking difficult.

I only use a straight off set shank hook in two instances. One, is when I use big 12-15" worms this time of year for green bass. I use 5/0 hooks for these big worms and run the point almost all the way through. I have gotten much better hookups while using these big worms while using these style hooks. Also, I fish my Super Flukes with a exposed hook in the rivers up here. Let me add that I said Owner Hooks were what I used but, since a suggestion from RW last year I really like the 3/0 X Points for my flukes. These hooks really have awesome penetration. They also keep their sharpness more because they are made of a harder steel. JMO :)