Sign in to follow this  
TennBasser

Swimbaits for Smallmouth?

Has anyone tried any of the new swimbaits to catch smallmouth?  I'm not referring to the large ones used on the West cost.  I refer to those now available that are generally 5-6" though sometimes 7-8" in length.  For example, Mattlures, Strike King, Optimum Baits, etc.

If you have used them what technique and equipment did you use.  Did you have any success?  

If not, what's your opinion of swimbaits for smallmouth?

Wecome, and nice fish !!! Good to see another smallie lover here. I never tried swimbaits for smallies but, I mostly river fish in fast moving water. I would be interested to see someone try it in a lake. FishCris caught a good one on a big swimbait recently so.... Don't look at his California smallie pics, you will want to move there and he sure has them unlocked. Check out his pics. Also, RW is our Southern smallie guy. He catches some great fish as well. There are a lot of knowlegeable smallie guys in here from all over. I love to read all of the different points of view and techniques from guys from different regions. This is a great place to learn, and all of us are always learning.  :)

I have been thinking of maybe getting  one of them swimbaits and trying I already have something that is almost the same except for the hard head and bill but the bill doesn't make the bait dive it makes it swim better they are called hydralures. I haven't had a lot of success on em but I haven't been using them much either, I have been using senkos lately thats whats been workin best around here(central pa)

I have used lures such as the storm shad with the vibratail on it. I use them on a med/hvy rod with 14 pound line. I have 4 and 5 inch ones but am looking for some larger ones.

Welcome aboard!

I see no reason why swimbaits wouldn't work, but fishing a swimbait is going to depend a lot on the water you fish. I'm not going to fish a $10+ lure on the Tennessee River in fast current, but I would on a lake.

Given that I've caught smallies on a 7" jerkshad and I've had several spit up 6-7" fish at the side of the boat, I think the right swimbait will work.  I've just recently started throwing a Mattlures perch for them, but so far only 1 that followed to the boat but wouldn't hit.  I'm going to keep it tied on and experimenting, but I don't expect my smallies will really turn on to the bigger perch for about a month.  There's just too many other easy meals for them right now.    

on the topic of mattlures, some people like the trout series for smallies - they are really thin and fold up better to fit in a smallies mouth.

on the topic of mattlures, some people like the trout series for smallies - they are really thin and fold up better to fit in a smallies mouth.

Bingo! That just hit the nail on the head. I throw the mattlures for smallmouth all the time. The 6" trout is awesome for that! I've caught smallmouth on the Mattlures 6", the Huddleston trout, The 3:16 wake Jr. , 10" Triple trout, Black Dog lunker punker, SPRO BBZ, and a handful of others but the mattlures is my favorite for the application.

Matt

www.calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/supermat/smallmouth/

Thanks for the advice fellas.  Supermat, exactly how do you fish the 6" Mattlure trout? Did you swim it or what?

I'll be fishing in a reservoir, not a river by the way.