Sign in to follow this  
jeffrey_lebowski

I don't know what to think

Whats not to believe? I have caught some nice 2lbers this year and even pulled in a nice 4lber for my PB. All on 7" power worms and shakey heads.

Hmm...

Unless that's your first smallmouth or PB, it ain't nothin' special.

Why do you question a guy claiming a 2 lb bass?

Maybe he meant, 20lbs 6 oz? :o

If he is that happy over a 2-6 he is going to love the Susky. Typically, say if you have a 40-80 fish day there you will have a lot of fish that run from 12-17 inches, with some 18-20's thrown in the mix. A 4 even to 4-4 you can expect, especially in the spring, fall and winter, in which is the best time. Seems most of the " fives " we catch are like 5 to 5-6, There are six pounders and better in the Susky but, its not like it was in the later 70's and early 80's. That place gets pounded. In the past few years I only have a dozen or so that ran 6 and almost all of them were in Dec/Jan. I had a guy in the boat with me one time that got one up to the boat that was a 7 or better and it broke off. Lots of 5-4's and 5-1's, and I don't know why they size like that also, it seems when they get five or better they tend to be loners and knowing this water is key. Winter, or , Nov up to ice is big fish time as well as early spring. There are a ton of baits to use in the Susky but, by far the best and all you really need are tubes, hair jigs/101 pork frog, Super Flukes, grubs, senkos, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and topwaters like Zara Spooks and Puppies, Spittin Image, or Sammy 100's and buzzbaits like a 1/4oz Cavitron. The best times are when the water is in the 38-45 degree range, the river is on the rise and muddy and is running around 5-5 to 6 at the Harrisburg Station. Look on NOAA under river conditons. It puts them in the eddies on the islands and banks and they are easy to find. Destinations for fishing are many. I like the City Island in Harrisburg Pa area up to Montgomerys Ferry. DO NOT BRING A PROP BOAT to this area as you won't get far. If you run a prop boat you can put in at the Goldsboro ramp across from Three Mile Island. You still have to be careful. If you want to run a glass boat you can run one above the dam at Conawingo in Baltimore or way above the Harrisburg area to the next dam. I cannot remember the name of that area but, if you look in the Northeast section in this site look for a guy named Izzy. He is a guide up there and seems to do real well on big smallies. I can honestly tell you that you will catch somewhere between 0 and 100,lol, and I have been on both ends of that scale !!! Hope this helps. Good luck. :)