Sign in to follow this  
Deb

proposed size change by TN

Hey gang......this was brought to my attention. Thought some input was needed. I've already sent an email to the TWRA

On August 29, 2007 the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency presented the following proposals regarding sportfish regulations to the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission (TWRC). The public is invited to provide comments on these proposals until October 15, 2007. Send your comments to TWRA.comments@state.tn.us or TWRA- Fisheries Division, PO Box 40747, Nashville, TN 37204. TWRC will consider the following proposals at the October 24-25, 2007 meeting. If approved, these changes would take effect on March 1, 2008.

Statewide

All Reservoirs, except Dale Hollow and Douglas Reservoirs- 18-inch minimum length limit on smallmouth bass. Proposal would not change existing creel limits.

This was posted on another board

The TWRA has a new proposal which will be voted on next month to increase the size limit on Smallmouth Bass statewide to 18" on all reservoirs. They are inviting comments on this proposal. Having read the proposal there are no apparrent plans for an exception to this size limit in the reciprical area of Ky Lake...ie...the waters between the U.S. 79 bridge at Paris, Tn. and the U.S. 68 bridge at Aurora, Ky. I know many of you fish tournaments here on Kentucky Lake. If this proposal passes without an exception to this size limit in the reciprical area of Ky Lake all I can forsee is mass confusion during tournaments, a lot of folks getting tickets and a loss of some big monies in tourist dollars generated by tournament here.

If you see the same things as I do, I would ask that you contact the TWRA and urge them to consider leaving the current 15" size limit on Smallmouth Bass in this reciprical area.

Here is the link where you can find the email link to make your comments:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/news/fishcomment.html

deb

Well, I don't keep bass, especially smallmouth, but I think a better program would allow fishermen that want to keep fish to have a slot limit. Keeping smaller fish (12"-15") isn't going to hurt the population and would provide better protection for "trophy bass."

As far as tournaments go, I would prefer "paper tournaments" only, but I realized that's just not going to happen.

It will be up to the tournament organizations to protect their anglers.I would think that any tournament launch that the water connect with the Tenn regulations will have an 18 in. size limit on SM.I don't know,it will be interesting to see what happens.

Roadwarrior - I'm with you - "paper tournaments" would be great.  I've seen so many beautiful smallies wasted after being taken from deep waters in summertime tournaments by idiots who have no idea how to properly care for their fish.  Unfortunately, I've met far too many tournament anglers who don't care if the fish live past the time they weigh them in...  With regard to the proposal, as an AVID Tennessee smallmouth angler, I do support TWRA in this venture.  Hopefully it will cut down on the number of smallies killed in tournaments or used for "table fare" -  :'(  which of course, I can't comprehend.  I do fish tournaments myself and often target smallies - so this is a double edged sword for me - but overall, I do think that it is a step in the right direction as far as improving the smallmouth fisheries in Tennessee.  Now if we could just get TWRA to QUIT STOCKING NON-NATIVE SPECIES like Stripers into our waterways, that would be something!!