Sign in to follow this  
JCrzy4Bass

Smallie Newb River Question

Hey guys, I've been around the forum a while and fish mostly for largemouth but after a couple smallie outtings I am really starting to love these bronze backs. I fished the James one day at Pony Pasture and came up with two, lost three others and had a bunch of bites. I fished the upper Rappahannock another day earlier this summer in early June right at the Line where the route one bridge is, fished the nontidal portion on riverside dr for about 1/4 mile stretch. I fished a jig mainly for the two hours I was there and caught a rock bass and had a few other hits. My question to you is out of the three Virginia Rivers (not parts in Md): Potomac, Rappahannock, and James, where would you say the best smallie fishing lies (particularly wading wise, not in a boat). Also on these rivers where are one or two of the best spots (not secret spots, just common ones) you guys would recommend checking out?

As far as Rappahannock River Campground, does anyone know if the water there is wadeable and if it costs anything to fish there? I crossed a few bridges going by there one time, is there anywhere around there to park and walk down and fish? I'm really interested in areas in or around Fredericksburg as its only about a 30 mile drive for me to make. I would appreciate any information you guys have or could share. Thanks for your help fellas.

Guest btlva

You can access the Rapp at Mott's Run in F-Burg. It's just a couple mins off rt.3 on River Rd. Lots of parking there. The water is shallow and wadeable. Tight lines

Hey Bryan, thanks dude.  After I fished about a 1/2-3/4 miles stretch (wading) on Riverside Dr I was contemplating taking a ride down and following it down to Mott's Run to see if there was access and fish another 1/2 mile stretch or so.  Appreciate the info buddy.  I will give it a try man.  Good fishing in this spot?

Guest btlva

Couldn't tell you much about the fishing in that stretch of the river. I usually fish the Rapp a pretty good distance from Mott's. But it looks like a decent spot with relatively shallow water and moderate current.

If you don't do any good in the river you can always head over to Mott's Run Reservoir which is about 2 minutes away, also off River Rd. I don't care much for that lake but it holds some big largemouth. Good luck

I'm gonna try here and further up the rap (upstream) to a more secluded spot if I'm not getting anything.  I'll post pics and results some time early next week.  Hopefully have some good pics.  Wish me luck fellas.

Good luck!