Sign in to follow this  
naturalnbama

anyone catching any smallmouth around wheeler or wilson???

Is anyone catching any smallmouth in my neck of the woods below wheeler.  Just got a new boat and my son and I are just dying to try it out.   can warrior or someone else who fishes this area in winter give me some pointers or ideas for this time of year.

Naturalnbama

Unfortunately, I have to fish on the weekends when the TVA is pretty stingy with their water. When we have had water (20,000+ cfs) the fishing has been okay, but not great. I had one 5+ in October, but nothing exciting since.

We fish below Pickwick Dam, but your situation should be very similar. We drift BIG minnows on a split shot rig. Ideally, the boat should be positioned just a little more than casting distance from the bank. Control the boat with the trolling motor so that both you and the baitfish are moving at about the same speed. Cast slightly upstream and maintain occasional contact with the bottom. I fish spinning tackle, #4 or #6 Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft and #6 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks.

Good luck!

8-)

I did talk to a gentleman yesterday who said that he and his son had caught 20+ pounds in a tournament on pickwick last weekend.  All were smallmouth.  said they caught them on "grubs" sure made me want to go.  I just got a new boat. well new to me and ready to go as soon as I get a free day.