Sign in to follow this  
mibronzeback

Smallies through the Ice

Watched this video of a guy taking a nice smallmouth on a tip up. I have never tried fishing smallies through the ice, but might try it at least a couple times now. Anyone here fish them through the ice and what is the best approach? Sorry, I cant post a link yet, but the video is on trophy-clips. I think the name is tip up smallmouth or smallmouth on a tip up.

I have never tried fishing smallies through the ice, but might try it at least a couple times now.

Sorry I have no advice, I am not an ice fisherman.

However, if you are going to ice fish NOW be very, very careful, or wait till next year. Warmer temps. have made ice much thinner. I saw on the news today that a guy was trying to ice fish around here (Chicago) and he broke through and had to be rescued.

I catch quite a few largemouths and smallmouths through the ice here in Colorado. Usually it's by accident when fishing for perch and crappie with small jigs tipped with a perch eye. Small jigging raps can get you into bass though. They are surprisingly active at times through the ice.

Bass generally hang right where the perch and crappie are during ice season. They make a meal of the smaller ones.

We don't target bass thru the ice, but you can and will catch them on tip ups with shiners. They will bite lighter then a northernor walleye. You can catch them jigging for crappies and perch as well.

We still have 24+ inches of ice up here in Wisconsin. Some of the boat landings are rough but there are still lots of trucks on the ice yet.

Why?

Wait until the ice melts.

p.s. "Taking" nice smallmouth through the ice is not a good thing.

8-)

Why?

Wait until the ice melts.

p.s. "Taking" nice smallmouth through the ice is not a good thing.

8-)

I don't target bass through the ice either, I catch them on complete accident when fishing for perch, gills, and crappie.

It isn't good to try to ice bass in water over 25 - 30 feet deep because they have a tendency to blow their swimbladders and will have difficult time surviving being caught.