Sign in to follow this  
Daiwa

Could someone point me to...

Hey could someone point me to or answer this question. Im not sure how to search it:

Could I use Largemouth bass gear for fishing for Smallmouth bass? Do they bite on the same lures? Do they hide in the same places?  

A link or answer would be great. Or an idea to search.

lol of course you can!!!! i fish places for largemouth and catch smallmouth and sometimes when i'm fishing for smallies i'll catch a largemouth.  They will hit the same lures, tubes, jigs, spinnerbaits, you don't even need to change the size of the lures.  

So don't worry about buying any new tackle, just go catch some fish

o yea  brett did a good job descibing it   actually last year i fished the late spawn around a tapering ledge  shallower there was largemouth and then deeper there was smallmouth   i used the same bait and on any given cast i could have caught a smallmouth or largemouth    

depends   mostly on the forage  if they are both eating the same food then yea    smallmouth are big time crawfish eaters while largemouth like minnows more  

smallmouth tend to school up more than largemouth do too.

I think largemouth just tend to live near each other sometimes when theres alot of food and cover, schooling up occuring during certain times of the year of course, times like winter and the spawn and just in certain lakes.  Smallmouth are a schooling fish and alot of times when you hook one you can almost bet that there are more close by, i've had plenty of times where a pod of fish would follow my bait in or where two or three smallies would chase a hooked fish.