Sign in to follow this  
camohull

what hook to use ?

I am fishing a 3'' beaver texas rigged with a gamakatsu 2/o offset shank worm hook. I am river fishing only.I am only landing about half of the smallies what do I need to do diff.Please help.                                                Thanks camohull

Your hook size is probably fine, but I would use an EWG (Extra wide gap), offset hook.

Other than that, equipmentwise, use a fast to extra fast rod, if you are not already. Line can come in to play too. Some stretch more than others. Most mono's are very stretchy, maybe try a flouro, copolymer, or braid. (I've been using a copolymer lately with great results).

Also, keep your casts within your area code! Too long of a cast means alot of line you have to move. With less line out, you'll experience less stretch on your hookset, and transfer more power from rod tip to hook point.

Make your hookset count! No, you don't have to give it the "samuri chop, tear the boatseat off" style hookset you can see on TV (unless your fishing heavy cover for LM, but we're talkin brown fish, so I'm guessing heavy cover does not apply to this situation). When you feel the thump (or whatever), drop your rod tip quickly, reel down until the nanosecond that you feel the tension of the fish, and quickly snap the rod tip upward. Moving the rod tip with speed is more important than the amount of "power" you exert once you make connection.

Good Luck!

Welcome aboard!

I suspect the main problems are your rod and hook-set. Soft plastics

and jigs require a rod with firm tip. SuskyDude described the "snap

set" which is also referred to as the "quick set". Making these two

changes should solve the problem.

Good luck!

8-)

I am fishing a 3'' beaver texas rigged with a gamakatsu 2/o offset shank worm hook. I am river fishing only.I am only landing about half of the smallies what do I need to do diff.Please help.                                                Thanks camohull

What rod and line are you using ?