Sign in to follow this  
IdahoLunkerHunter

Dam Water Flow and Reading Tables

So I've never really paid any attention to the water flow of our dam on the river.

After reading many posts about members that fish regulated waters I would like to get some insight on opinions about water flow and best times to fish when the dam is flowing.

So after looking at the water supply forecast they start raising the water in March. This year the Core dropped the lake two feet under what is usually dropped. They are projecting a two-three week delay in what is comparated to last year in raising the lake. The final raise should be finished around middle of May with the most water also being released at this same time. I'm totally new to actually paying attention to the water flow so if I could get some help I would very much appreciate it.

I kind of know what to do when I "see and feel" more flow than one day but a little more insight on how fish react to the flow and possibly helping me read the dams readings and projections on water release would help me be a better fisherman.

post-8793-130163019184_thumb.png

Fish bite when the water is steady or rising, but when it starts

dropping you might as well go home. If the flow is simply reduced,

but not shut off, the fish may resume feeding a hour or two after

the water level has stabilized, but not always.

8-)

So pretty much all through spring when the water is rising, be on the water...gotcha.

When the dam is more open in the summer, like lets say after a good couple days of rain, will the bite be better than normal... Generally Speaking?

Its really cool learning this kinda stuff because it totally makes sense when looking back on past years. Thanks for the input RW.

When the dam is more open in the summer, like lets say after a good couple days of rain, will the bite be better than normal... Generally Speaking?

Yes and it will be better on the lake side, too. Even though you cannot

feel current in the lake, it's there and makes a difference to the fish. Now,

I'm talkin' smallmouth, those lazy green fish don't necessarily like current.

8-)