Sign in to follow this  
BigJohnny

How do you fish crawbugs?

I've read that you rig them backwards, in throught the tail and out through the head. How do you fish them? Is it a jerk pause?

Not sure what you mean by a crawbug... but if your talking about the majority of soft plastic crawdads, then yes, most people rig them through the back, so the craw swims backwards.  I like to rig them texas style with a 4/0 wide gap hook and 1/8oz bullet weight.  Just bounce it along the bottom like a little crawdad on a sunday stroll.  You can varry your retrieve how ever, just give them what they want.

He is talking about Yum Crawbugs. You go through the end of the tail with the hook, bring it out the bottom about an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch in depending on the size of Crawbug you're using, and then run it back through the bottom of the head between the eyes. You can skin hook it on the back of the crawbug to make it more weedless. The sinker size depends on the depth you are fishing at and the wind speed, just like any other t-rigged bait.  I fish them like any other texas rigged baits which means you have a few different choices. I've had the most success with tiny hops and crawling the bait on the bottom.  The baits are hollow so the claws float up when you move the bait.

I have only fished them once or twice, but I've been rigging them with a tube jighead, with the eye protroding out the tail of the bait, the hollow body makes this rigging easy., fished it pretty much the same way as t-rig.