Sign in to follow this  
T-rig

Lake Fork Hyper Freak ?

Sorry man.  I live like  2 hours away from where that thing is made and have never seen or heard of it.  I fish a lot of there stuff and know a ton of people that do as well and can't recall anyone mentioning it.  Tom Redington is sponsored by them he could probably give you some info.  Looks cool.

I fished one made by Gambler that looks identical to that one with no success! They have no action nor do they resemble anything that i could see. But, sometimes that is a good thing huh?  ;D

The one by gambler (ugly otter I am assuming) isn't even a close match except for the paddle tail.

My buddy got a pack of the hyper freak.We haven't used them yet.Truthfully I don't really like it though.I thought from the pictures that it would be a little more bulky and round bodied.The bait is very small and the body is paper thin.Not really my cup of tea.Looks like you could use it for a drop shot.Fans of the berkley beast may like this bait.

what the heck is that??!!

looks like a roach with a beaver tail, eh!

and, obviously, no ... i have never fished it, or seen anything like it for that matter...

The one by gambler (ugly otter I am assuming) isn't even a close match except for the paddle tail.

x2

I thought from the pictures that it would be a little more bulky and round bodied.The bait is very small and the body is paper thin.

You must have bought the baby version. I just got a bag of the 5" and the bait is alot bulker than the ugly otter.

I'm going to try this thing on the weekend. ;)

post-7272-130162881033_thumb.jpg

x2

I thought from the pictures that it would be a little more bulky and round bodied.The bait is very small and the body is paper thin.

You must have bought the baby version. I just got a bag of the 5" and the bait is alot bulker than the ugly otter.

I'm going to try this thing on the weekend. ;)

Maybe he did buy the baby one.It wouldn't surprise me one bit coming from someone who is intimidated to throw anything bigger than a crappie lure fishing for bass ::D ;D

That bigger one sounds pretty cool. 8-) Like I said i wasn't a big fan of how that little one had a perfectly flat body.Almost no way to hook it unless you used a size 1 or finesse style nose hook.

Just coming across this post, sorry for the late reply.  The Hyper Freak is one of the baits that Mark Pack (the designer of the lure) used to win the $200k 1st prize at the FLW Tour Walmart Open on Beaver Lake last spring.  http://www.another site/news_article.asp?ID=2895

This lure comes in the baby and regular sizes.  It puts out a wild tail thump when it falls, but you need a decent sized sinker to get it move on a TX rig (you need a fast fall for the tail to thump).

I use it most as a jig trailer, and it is Mark's standard jig trailer most of the time nowadays.  He likes to aggressively hop his jigs off the bottom, and the thumping fall of the tail looks different than what most bass are used to seeing.  Instead of the normal drag or crawl along the bottom, a sharp snap or two off the bottom, followed by a quick fall, triggers fish to bite some day.  Similar to the reaction strikes we get when ripping traps through the grass.  The baby works well with finesse jigs, while the regular sized one works great with 3/8 to 3/4 oz flipping jigs.  

When everyone else is going down the bank pitching jigs with craws, creatures, or plastic chunks as trailers, something to give them a different look and action.  Also, the beating thump of the tail is very good for muddy conditions as well.  I also have had some good days using it as a trailer while swimming jigs over grass.  One more weapon for you arsenal.

Good Fishing,

Tom

ive never used them but want to. i fish the ugly otter a lot and love them. c-rigged is the way i use them and thats probably how i would use the hyper freak.