Sign in to follow this  
deep

Fallin' In Love With Jigs All Over Again

I haven't really fished jigs since last summer. I'd rather use a T-rigged weightless plastic where other people would use a (casting) jig. With the water quite cold, the recent front and everything, and the price of senkos as they are, I decided to try my hand at jigs the last three days at my local lake (fishing from the shore).

Setup: 3/8 oz Stanley finesse jig, came pre-rigged with a craw trailer, Powell Max 7'3" MXF spinning, Shimano Sonora, 6/30 Daiwa Samurai mainline with 10 lb Stren Fluorocast leader.

Caught about 10 fish on this combo over the last three days, including a 3 pounder. Nothing big, but then I was fishing from the shore. I'd guess a lot of the big ones are deeper now. I fished the jig almost like a T-Rigged plastic; cast it out, let it sink, let it sit for 10+ seconds, give it one twitch or a gentle pull, and let it sit some more, repeat. That simple technique caught most of the fish. I got them on the deeper side of a creek-channel drop in a cove. A couple of the fish were caught while swimming the jig. Actually I was fishing it like a spinnerbait really. Yo-yoing, or jerking the jig, and letting it sink.

I also caught a little 12" guy on a 1/2 oz Booyah Boo jig with a Yamamoto flapping hog trailer. And I thought jigs caught bigger fish only :)

photo033111001.jpg

photo040211001.jpg

photo040211003.jpg

photo040211008.jpg

Jigs are an awesome tool! One of my favorites. Congrats on the fish those things are skinny!

This is my local lake, so I fish it a lot. IMO this lake has a severe problem of overpopulation and stunting. There are a lot of bluegill/ crappie fishermen, and I've seen them carry away HUGE stringers. I've never caught any bass out of this lake that can be remotely called fat, and only a few that I'd call healthy. Out of the several hundred bass I caught out of this lake last year, there was only one 8 pounder, and a couple of 3+. All three were quite skinny. That, I believe, says something. If the bigger fish can't find much to eat, I can guess that the smaller ones are starving.

I tried a variation of jigging this weekend, I was using deep water sling jigs, butterfly and diamond jigs. You gotta be young with a strong back, just wore me out, but it's very productive, we caught some aj's & kings.