Sign in to follow this  
Gundy

Identifying Lure And Technique...

So I went out cat fishing this past sunday evening and noticed a fella catching bass like no tomorrow off a wind blown pier (wind was around 40mph gusts). Basically all I could see from across the lake was what looked like a black and or blue spinner that he would throw, then retrieve rather quickly sometimes with some quick jerks added in. He was fishing off a point that has a good amount of weeds that lead into a very shallow (2ft) but large cove.

The temperatures have been around 60-70 air and the water is still pretty chilly. The past few days the temp has been getting up to around 80s finally. I went out again this evening and saw him again at the same spot, using the same technique. What lure is he using and technique? He had his familiar bucket next to him that was filled sunday, and by the time I drove around the lake to get to my spot he was gone. Otherwise I would've asked him what hes using.

Any guesses? This is a small lake that gets quite abit of fishing pressure, and is stocked each month with cat fish. All of the topics I have been reading on this forum have been mentioning to use a slow retrieve. And this guy was burning it back and jerking the rod a few times, whether he was pulling it out of the weeds or what. His method was working.

might have been a buzzbait

It sounds like the water was warmed up enough for the bass to move up and become active. In that case, he was fishing a common pattern - wind blowing food into a point and the baitfish follow. The blades and body of the spinnerbait, spinner, buzzbait or whatever he was using probably simulated the baitfish and in the wind-disturbed water they can't get a real good look at it so they nail it when it comes by.

Possibly a chrome Ratl-Trap?