Sign in to follow this  
dulouz

Painting Spinnerbait Blades??

I bought a bunch of spinnerbait blades in a sale bin at BPS and was thinking of painting some of them. Any tips? primer? #of coats? colors to try? I fish off color (stained to murky) water with multi species including LM, SM, Walleye, and Pike.

I actually will paint blades on occasions. I've been using white and black for the most part. Smallies love chartreuse blades up here. I don't have powder painting equipment so i usually take a nickle plated blade and sand/scuff (220 grit) it up to take on a spray paint and then a clear coat or 2. You're gonna laugh, but when the waters here get stained to murky from a recent storm, a caution orange blade does the trick for me. Try an stay away from painting a 24k gold blade, at $1,460/troy oz, those blades are just too darn expensive to paint over...LOL

Good luck and post some of those painted blades.

I'm not nearly as talented as those posting pics in the tackle making section, but even as a kid I would "borrow" my sister's nail polish. Dries fast, chip resistant, and free!

Thanks for the help. I did happen to find a bunch of blades in a sale bin at Gander Mtn in the colors I wanted. I still might try painting some in different colors just to try it.