Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Is there anything special about WAR EAGLE spinnerbaits?

I just got a WAR EAGLE spinnerbait with some other Spinnerbaits I purchased on Ebay.

Ive heard the name War Eagle mentioned numerous times over the past couple of years and was wondering if there is really something special to these baits? Anyone here just swear by them? Are they that much a better bait,and what is it about them that make s a difference?

Yes....very high quality components. War Eagle and Nichols spinnerbaits have the highest quality blades I've seen. The War Eagle and Nichols blades have a clear lacquer on them...it's noticeable when you compare them to your other spinnerbaits and prevents the blades from getting tarnished. War Eagle and Nichols are similar in design; a cone-shaped, 'weed-free' design that isn't painted like a fishhead...just painted a solid color. The Nichols are more 'compact' and have a shorter arm on both sides of the bend. Both companies seem to share many anglers thoughts that spinnerbaits are reactionary baits, and a detailed head isn't necessary. I own and fish a lot of War Eagles, but if I could only throw one spinnerbait....it would be a Nichols. It is the spinnerbait KVD chose before he was sponsored by Strike King. They have won a lot of tournaments.

I've never used War Eagles, but I LOVE the Nichols Pulsator spinnerbaits. Bass and pike just smash them, and I've even caught trout on them.

Good question, difficult answer.

I throw War Eagles plus others.

All spinnerbaits get strikes.

I use the War Eagles in tournaments and the others when fishing for fun.

I have never had a War Eagle torn up by a bass, catfish or a Bowfin as I have had with other brands.

Give 'em a try and see if you like them.  ;)

I've never used War Eagles, but I LOVE the Nichols Pulsator spinnerbaits. Bass and pike just smash them, and I've even caught trout on them.

X2 nobody seems to thro nichols on this forum but all of the locals around where I am throw them exclusively. They are also smallmouth spinnerbaits

And to answer the question, war eagle make awesome spinnerbaits as well. Their size and colors makes them perfect for smallmouths. War eagle and nichols are the only spinnerbaits I throw in tournaments, in practice I fish terminator because they're cheaper.

I have thrown War Eagle & Nichols spinnerbaits, very good baits. That said consider the S.O.B. tandem blade 3/8 oz. Mini Me in the TJ Special color with "Gamblers Dust" on the blades, easily the most productive spinnerbait I've ever thrown. Two weeks ago picked up a  6lb 6 oz. bass which is a very nice bass for an inland Michigan lake. The great thing about Dee at S.O.B. is he will customize them any way you want. My favorite on the tandem is the #4 Willow with a #2 Colorado. Check out soblures.com, good user friendly website.

X2 nobody seems to thro nichols on this forum but all of the locals around where I am throw them exclusively. They are also smallmouth spinnerbaits

And to answer the question, war eagle make awesome spinnerbaits as well. Their size and colors makes them perfect for smallmouths. War eagle and nichols are the only spinnerbaits I throw in tournaments, in practice I fish terminator because they're cheaper.

The nichols pulsator in double willow, 1/4 ounce with a chartreuse/white skirt is one of my best producing spinnerbaits.

Best ones out there, won plenty of money on them.

What and how many tournys have you won with them, and what is your definition of a lot of money?

Best ones out there, won plenty of money on them.

What and how many tournys have you won with them, and what is your definition of a lot of money?

Eleventy billion dollars.  

I use War Eagle spinnerbaits almost exclusively.  The hooks are extremely sharp and they have great components.  Just a first rate spinnerbait.

I do agree that War Eagle spinnerbaits are made with great components.

There is one thing that I am having issues with though.  My issue is that my War Eagle blades tend not to turn while I am retrieving them.  Keep in mind that I have the double willow bladed spinnerbait.

Is there anything I am doing wrong, or did I just get a dud?

I've used the War Eagle to catch almost every fish over the last month and a half. I use the White 3/8 Tandem Willow Gold/Silver blade combination. I swear by this Spinnerbait all year! It's better than any spinnerbait I've seen for consistently catching fish. I've caught a ton of largemouth on it this year as well as catfish, stripers, and big crappie.....This bait is really hard to beat! I wouldn't use any other spinnerbait...well, I do like the Karu spinnerbaits too...don't use them often but I like them.

Dockmaster on the blades not turning, it sounds like you have a defective swivel. If you put a new swivel on their you should be good to go.

Dockmaster on the blades not turning, it sounds like you have a defective swivel. If you put a new swivel on their you should be good to go.

OK, I will try that thanks for the help.

One other thing I for got to mention is that the blades will sometimes spin does that still mean I need to replace the swivel?

Also it seems like to blades get caught up.  I don't know what to do.

I fish War Eagle almost exclusively - that means Ill try a new one here and there.....Recently I tried the River2Sea Crystal spin bait....These are real nice looking and run really nice too.  Last year I tried a few Nichols pulsators and to be honest I cant get either one to run straight...For me War Eagles just catch a lot of fish and probably just because they are made well and always run straight!

Wow.  And I thought that I was the one of the few to throw Nichols Pulsators.  Amazing spinnerbait.  I can't say enough about them.  I have been using them pretty much exclusively for about 10 years and everytime I venture out to try a different brand I always am disappointed.  I have not tried many of the War Eagles but they seem to be the same style but with a lighter gauge wire.  1/2oz # 64 (White/ Chart.) w/ glitter blades and Blue Shad (Both in double willow) are by far my best producers.