Sign in to follow this  
hookset on 3

How to straiten out kinks in soft plastics?

Hey Guys, I've got various soft baits that have become crooked from sitting in the storage box all winter. I've heard you can put them in water on the stove with like medium heat for a few minutes.

Any proven techniques?

Thanks Hookset

Yep.If I just need to do a few I stick a cup of water in the micro and bring it just to a light boil.Dip the bait in the water at least 30 secs then run it under cold water for 30 secs.Lay out on paper towel for a while.

If you doing a bunch then boil a whole pan,remove from heat,then dip away.

There are some baits that I do this to whether they look bad or not.They will always swim better because they get loosened up and softened and run perfect afterwards.Some examples would be,rage shads,ribbit frogs,or any type of topwater frogs,swimbaits for sure,ribbontail worms too,especially when the pack they come in is way too short for the baits contained within,and gambler flappin worms.

Yep.If I just need to do a few I stick a cup of water in the micro and bring it just to a light boil.Dip the bait in the water at least 30 secs then run it under cold water for 30 secs.Lay out on paper towel for a while.

If you doing a bunch then boil a whole pan,remove from heat,then dip away.

There are some baits that I do this to whether they look bad or not.They will always swim better because they get loosened up and softened and run perfect afterwards.Some examples would be,rage shads,ribbit frogs,or any type of topwater frogs,swimbaits for sure,ribbontail worms too,especially when the pack they come in is way too short for the baits contained within,and gambler flappin worms.

X2

I boil them for 10-20 seconds and stretch them out on a countertop.

Most if not all retain their shape.

I also do this to my swimbaits and toads as it softens them up.

Strike King 7" Finesse worms used to be terrible as they came in a 6" bag.

LOL I just got another pack of 12 inch culprits.They come in the same pack as the 7 inchers.They look shoddy to say the least.

Another one to mention is zoom super flukes.It is extremely vital that these baits are rigged straight and at least half the baits in a pack have kinks.

With the exception of super flukes, I don't care one bit.  Not sure I've ever seen a straight line in nature.   :)  besides, I kinked worm appears injured to prey.