Sign in to follow this  
paulmandude

Storing Tackle Outside

I was just wondering if you guys think it would be okay to store hard and soft baits outside even in harsh winters of new england where the temperature changes constantly.

I did have some water logged baits when I took my tackle bag out this year, but I think it's because I put them away damp. I noticed it was mostly heavily salted soft plastics like beavers and senkos.

My boat is backed into my driveway which is on an incline and doesn't like to drain the water. I'll have to keep a better eye on it this year after it rains or move it out back, but I don't trust my neighbors.

So anyways I have pegboard all lined up in the shed and want to utilize it.

What do you think?

as long as it stays dry and out of the sun i don't think it would be a problem. my stuff sits in my shed here in MN and has no problems.

I leave it in the boat between trips, but I take the stuff out if I won't be fishing for as few days or more.

Some of the more heavily salted baits will get a little water logged, where the embedded salt crystals melt and begin to sweat out of the bait, and then reharden when the baits dry out. I personally would bring it all inside over the winter, dry it out, and store it with desiccant packets inside the boxes.

Your baits didn´t get water logged because they were put away damp, they get water logged because salt attracts and traps moisture from the air, moisture gets trapped by salt then it becomes water which dissolves the salt and .... you end up with brine.

Baits should be stored in a dry place and away from direct light, dry because moisture not only affects salted baits, it also affects hooks causing rust and tarnish and away from direct light because the colors will fade. Let alone that UV light degrades many materials.

I don´t see any reason why not to store them in the shed during the winter but to do what you have to do in order to keep moisture away or at minumum level.

• Like 1

Paul,

I have read articles about storing your gear outside or allowing it to remain in your boat.

The articles all agree that the weather can have an adverse affect on the rods' glue.

Also, some baits may wilt or melt and if you mix and match colors in one bag the colors can bleed onto other plastics.

I store all of my gear in my man cave, including the boat's removable electronics.

Not only do I believe it is safe from prediators but I can see it and play with it all year long. :)