Sign in to follow this  
murphy_31047

Feeling Disconnected From My Setup...

Hello all,

I have been fishing off and on for years and just recently started using a baitcaster and I love it. I am using a pro qualifier left hand retrieve with a bass pro graphite series trigger rod, the MH 7'6" with a telescopic handle to be exact(GS76MHT-T). I have the same series rod on a spinning setup in medium 7' and I like the rod, needless to say it is not the best rod, but better than anything I have ever had. The problem I am having is that I can use a jig(1/2,3/4 oz) on the mh rod with a baitcaster and feel just about everything but not quite as much as with the medium spinning setup, but with a t-rigged worm using a 5/16oz weight I feel absolutely nothing, almost like it is not enough weight, but the 5/16 is already way too heavy and causes the worm to fall very fast, I use 3/16 or 1/4 oz on my spinning setup. I am running 50lbs power pro(12# dia.) on the bc. Is the rod the problem in this setup? Should I go back to a medium solid one piece without the telescopic handle, say 6'6" or 7'? maybe a different rod that doesn't cost much more? I fish from banks mostly, unless someone invites me for a ride on a boat. I bought the MH instead of medium this time because I was wanting to start flipping into the sticks around the bank and have been doing so with the jigs, but the t-rig is just making me feel so disconnected. Any ideas? Thanks very much for your help. Murphy

If you're fishing the same depth and current conditions, I'd suggest spooling braid on your spinning reel as well. 20lb/6 lb equiv.

Some lures inherently have less feel than others and it can feel like there is nothing on the end of your line. But you know that there is, so at that point you have to redefine what is and what isn't feel. You have to watch your line more and learn to recognize what your line looks like when it is dropping and what it looks like when the lure is sitting on the bottom. This can be challenging, but it isn't impossible. Each lure has its own drop rate, and after a while you know when it is dropping and when it is on the bottom, strictly based on time. If your line does anything weird, like straighten out, or hop to the side or pause, set the hook.

Hooksets are free.

Believe me, I know the feeling when you can't feel your bait very well, and this is how I try to deal with it. Texas rigged worms or tubes with 1/4 ounce or less of weight is a challenge, especially when you're trying to fish deeper than 10 feet.

You might want to change rods, for me a 7 1/2 foot rod is a little long. I dunno. Rod length preference depends on lots of things. There isn't any law that puts a limit on how many rods and reels you can own.

Anyway - good luck - fishing a lightly weighted worm on a flipping stick can get problematic.

Thank you for the help, I went to dick's sporting goods and I saw a rod that jumped out at me looks good and feels good. A field and stream tec spec "plastics" 7ft medium with extra fast tip rod. I think a portion of the rod is graphite near the handle not sure about the rest, but the build quality is superb and I love the split grip. It handles well but the wind was way too high this morning to get a real good feel for it. Any body have any info on the other materiel used to make this rod? Thanks murph