Is this reel's 8lb drag to light for flipping in medium cover such as grass, and laydowns, or would it be wise to go with a reel that has an 11 or 12 lb drag?

Is this reel's 8lb drag to light for flipping in medium cover such as grass, and laydowns, or would it be wise to go with a reel that has an 11 or 12 lb drag?

Try an old school technique for flipping.

Set your drag to almost max 7lb., now when hook setting lay your thumb across the spool to keep it from turning.

After the hook set take the thumb off of the spool and use the 7lb's of drag set to fight the fish.

If you need intermittent times of tighter drag, lay the thumb over the spool as needed.

Its called feathering the drags. Believe me you can achieve more drag to bust a rod with on hook set with the thumb than with the reels drag...

Be careful...:thumbsup:

Good luck & Tight Lines!! :fishing1:

• Like 1

I have been pitchin with a 7' MH Quantum Tour PT paired with the carbonlite and have not had one second of problem. This is one light weight awesome set up. The 5 biggest went 21-2 two weeks ago pitchin a stupid tube to docks and laydowns. I am ordering another carbonlite as soon as I get off of here. After using this reel for 6 or 7 hours you do not want to use the others they feel very heavy.

Try an old school technique for flipping.

Set your drag to almost max 7lb., now when hook setting lay your thumb across the spool to keep it from turning.

After the hook set take the thumb off of the spool and use the 7lb's of drag set to fight the fish.

If you need intermittent times of tighter drag, lay the thumb over the spool as needed.

Its called feathering the drags. Believe me you can achieve more drag to bust a rod with on hook set with the thumb than with the reels drag...

Be careful...:thumbsup:

Good luck & Tight Lines!! :fishing1:

That is exactly the technique I use! I always do this on hooksets, especially on long casts. I want to make sure those hooks penetrate!