Sign in to follow this  
tnbassfisher

Line Choice

The more I try and figure it out on my on the more confused I become, so I am hoping someone could help me out here. What different types of line do you use for specific techniques, and it would also be very beneficial to me if you could please tell why you use each.

Thanks

For years I used nothing but co-poly line for everything. Can't say that I've lost a single fish due to the type of line I was using. These days, I carry three spinning rigs, all spooled with 20lb PowerPro braid and sporting co-poly leaders of varying strengths. These rigs are used for dropshotting, shakeyheads, and the heaviest rig is used for skipping senko-type lures, either t-rigged or wacky style, and for some worming chores. It eliminates the problems with line twist for the most part. I also carry 7 baitcasters. One uses the same PowerPro braid...it's used for c-rigging. Five of them still have the good old SilverThread co-poly and do the duty for spinnerbaiting, cranking, etc.. Only one rod has flourocarbon on it, and that's 20lb InvisX for pitching jigs/plastics.

Braid - Flippin/Pitchin, Frogs, C-rig, & T-rig. Use it because of near zero stretch, stronger line at a thinner diameter compared to mono or flour. If the water is less than clear I tend to use more braid because of less chance of the fish seeing the line.

Flourocarbon - Crankbait, spinnerbait, T-rig. Use it because it has less stretch than mono, and has the properties to make it nearly invisible, it sinks. If I am fishing in clear lakes most of my reels will be spooled up with flourocarbon.

Mono - Topwater. It doesn't sink like the flourocarbon does therefore it does not have any kind of negative effect on the action of a topwater bait.

Good luck making your choices. You are right, there are tones of different lines out there and it can get confusing. You just have to try different ones and find what works best for you.

Here's a ton of info

LINE CHOICE

Me, I have mono on my setup for larger cranks and spinnerbaits. The mono has stretch and will act as a shock absorber when the fish nails the bait. I use flouro for smaller cranks, and some soft plastic applications as well as leader material. Flouro is sensitive and abrasion resistant and somewhat invisible under water. I use braid for jig fishing, topwater to get thru the slop, and on my spinning gear with a flouro leader. Braid is super strong and super sensitive but not very abrasion resistant and has no memory.

This year I am trying braid. I am using it on all of my setups and I don't bother with a leader since I almost never fish in anything other than dirty water. I am finding that it works well for everything with a few exceptions. It isn't very abrasion resistent when fishing rip rap. The bullet weight on t-rigs wears out the line quickly. Fishing with a buzz bait gets messy if you set the hook and miss the fish: the line gets all tangled in the lure. I used it on an ultralight and caught a bigger fish than I intended and the zero stretch and big fish bent the hook and I lost the fish.

That being said, it is all worth it for the sensitivty and strength/diameter ratio. I used 10# Power Pro on spinning and 20# Power Pro on baitcasters.

Choices depend on the type of water. The lakes I fish are very clear, little or no vegetation and little wood. Our cover is rocks. I use mono for surface and some times spinner baits, braid with a mono or flourocarbon leader for C-Rigs and over the past few years I've been changing to flouro for every thing else. If I were to move where there was more vegitation I'd use more braid.