Busbey

What's The Rule On The Lakes With Houses?

General question I know but there are a lot of small lakes around here surrounded by houses. I once saw a small john boat in one near here but there is no ramp or anything. I am thinking of just dropping a boat in there and hoping I don't get into trouble. Think I am ok?

Also will I need a fishing license? Probably going to get one to be safe anyways but just curious for friends to might join me.

I live on one of those lakes, so I can give you some fair input.

90% of the time they're private. Especially if there aren't any ramps. Theres a lake in my area that I take my Jon to regularly that is only for residents of that community. It has a ramp, I've never had any issues going there for the last couple of years. If somebody tells me I need to leave, well then obviously I have no grounds to stand on because I don't live in that particular community.

Not all of those lakes are created equal. Don't show up to one thinking it's private water and that you're going to just whack fish all day long. My lake is very difficult to fish at times. Mind you, one down the street from me is much easier to fish. They can be extremely fun to fish in, or extremely frustrating.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Licensing:

http://myflorida.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1562/~/do-i-need-a-freshwater-fishing-license-to-fish-on-private-property%3F

Do I need a freshwater fishing license while fishing on private property?

You do not need a freshwater fishing license to fish on private property if you are: 1) under 16 years of age; 2) in your county of residence, on your homestead or the homestead of your spouse or minor child, or you are a minor child fishing on your parent's homestead; 3) fishing in a man-made fishing pond of 20 acres or less that located entirely within the pond owner's property and has no surface water connection to public waters; 4) fishing in a pond owned by a person who holds a valid fish pond license for the pond; or 5) you are a resident who is fishing with live or natural bait, using poles or lines that are not equipped with a fishing-line-retrieval mechanism, and you are fishing for noncommercial purposes in your home county.

There are many groups of people who are exempt from the license requirements. Some exemptions apply to "Florida Residents" only. Please be aware of the Florida state residency requirements listed at http://myfwc.com/license/recreational/florida-residency/. Exemptions may also apply to saltwater species, or freshwater fish, or both.

Groups of people that are exempt from purchasing a recreational saltwater or freshwater fishing license are listed on the Website: http://myfwc.com/license/recreational/do-i-need-a-license.

In summary, you need to purchase a recreational fishing license if you are not a member of a group of people exempted by law. If you are a member of an exempted group, you do not need a license.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the times those private waterways aren't monitored by any state agencies. That being said, if a cop or whomever stopped you and asked for a license, they could very easily hand you a citation for not having one. Licenses are cheap. You should buy one anyway. The money helps to support our states fishing programs. It shouldn't be a matter of being "safe" or not. There are many more benefits to the fishing community besides not getting a ticket.

You will need a license. Be respectful and leave if asked.

going to do as suggested for sure. i just wasn't sure if i even needed to register and all that since the boat is so small...

Most of these lakes are private but not all. There on some lakes with public access on one side of the lake, a public park for example not a community park. If you have to access a lake by going on a residents property, go somewhere else.