Had the incoming tide so I knew my chances were minimal. I went to a spot in the ICW that I seldom go to and when I have, it's been luckless. Fishing near the lights I spot a huge shadow in the water, less than 10 feet away. I pitch my xrap and instead of reeling it in I used arm movements to lure the fish, it worked, fish on. Moments later i tried to lift the fish over the seawall, couldn't get it's head out of the water so it was a hefty fish, opened the bail and gave it it's head and before I knew it 40 yds of line was off my spool. One jump, fish gone, we both were happy as she swam away healthy and I got my xrap back.

A few minutes later I hook a cubera and # for # made the snook look like a bluegill.

Topped it off with a 30" cuda on a tube.

You're always on the fish! Great job of catching and releasing that huge snook.

Pics, or it didn't happen :P

Pics, or it didn't happen :P

Didn't get the snook out of the water, so no pic and as a rule I don't walk around with a camera at 5am when I'm alone in the dark, no flash on this cell phone.

Snook fishing is almost identical to LMB as far techniques and baits used (some call them saltwater Largemouth). I may go back to the same place this morning and jig with a DOA shrimp, hoping to get another Cubera, they can run upwards of a 100#, not that I would land it.

This is a small Cubera I caught a couple of years ago.

2uhv8k6.jpg

I've been snook fishing, it's a blast.

We don't get catch fish or even but every day, but glad to say we are coming into the hot fishing from now until November.

Caught only 1 today, Tarpon :D , not big maybe 20 or 30#, broke off as I was lifting it over the seawall. Wrapped my 20# outdated Power Pro around my forearm, line held but the 40# leader snapped. Frowned on to take them out of the water but I wanted a pic for J Francho

Why is it frowned on to take them out of the water? How do you get the hooks out?

Why is it frowned on to take them out of the water? How do you get the hooks out?

John, this is a non scientific explanation. Tarpon and some other species like a Goliath Grouper bodies cannot support their internal organs when out of the water. I really think it's illegal in Florida but I'm really not sure about that. Catching them from boat or on the beach does make unhooking them much easier. From my experience most tarpon I see hooked never get landed, they either throw the hook because they jump and twist so much, jaws are incredible hard and it's difficult to keep them on the hook and their gill plates are as sharp as razor blade (snook too)and often times cut right thru the leader. Once you get past the size of the juveniles like over 50# or so having enough line on a smaller reel can be a problem too, it's a lot of fish for a 4000 series spinner. I'm in awe of the guys that catch 100#+ on fly rods.

Oh, tarpon....I missed that detail. Thanks for the explanation.