Sign in to follow this  
Skeet22

Bassmaster Article W/ Dean Rojas

Did anyone else read the article he wrote for Bassmaster mag about his Frog set up? I find it hard to beleive he is using a 7' M action rod for fishing spro frogs..

He actually said he was using a M Action rod with a fast tip..I get so frustrated when I read something like this. You would think a Pro would understand that action is in the tip/bend of the rod and the M/MH/H is the power. I read stuff like this so often and I just dont get it. It's so simple yet there are so many people that cant get it right. There are even some rods with the ratings printed this way. Can't they just list it as Power: M/ML/MH/H Action:Fast/Moderate ?? Maybe Bassmaster mis printed idk..

Back in the day, rods would be labeled by the manufacture as having a light, medium, or heavy action. I still have a few that say that. Maybe Dean hasn't adopted the newer terminology in his spiel. At any rate, I've seen him fish in person, and he's using a pretty whippy rod to sling those frogs. I'm not even sure he was using braid. This was on Smith Mountain Lake, a few years back.

Back in the day, rods would be labeled by the manufacture as having a light, medium, or heavy action. I still have a few that say that. Maybe Dean hasn't adopted the newer terminology in his spiel. At any rate, I've seen him fish in person, and he's using a pretty whippy rod to sling those frogs. I'm not even sure he was using braid. This was on Smith Mountain Lake, a few years back.

Yeah im pretty sure in that same article he said he only uses braid in super heavy cover.. Kind of goes against everything you read but he is labled the frog man.. Kind of goes back to you guys last debate about success breeding confidence and that confidence is not built on just beleiving what your doing is correct.

I fish whatever technique how I am comfortable doing so. I like a ML moderate fast for dropshots on my spinning tackle. I use MH crankbait rods for my spinnerbait rods. I use a MH XF for my tex rig/worm and light jigs. Thats what I like to use while others may use different. My ds rods have 10-15lb briad with a 6-8lb flouro leader. I used 14-17lb co poly for spinnerbaits, and braid with flouro leader or straight braid for my trig/worm.jig rods.

Yeah im pretty sure in that same article he said he only uses braid in super heavy cover.. Kind of goes against everything you read but he is labled the frog man.. Kind of goes back to you guys last debate about success breeding confidence and that confidence is not built on just beleiving what your doing is correct.

Pros do a lot things differently....

Hard to argue with the fact that Rojas has had success. He designed that frog, so it must work for him. I will say this, I've used 20# CXX for Spro frogs with success. It worked better in areas where the hair algae had bloomed on the surface. Braid would pick it, the copoly would slough it off. Not my favorite way to fish though....

i never bought into needing a heavier rod or braid to frog fish, especially when 6-7 years ago when i was just getting back into fishing all i had was a zebco 33 with light mono on it. i used it for everything, even frogs. if i could catch frog fish on that then i figure i can catch them on just about any setup. many if you get caught up in the whole "i need a certain rod or reel for this or that technique" and i just cant fall into that line of thinking, but thats just me. half the time when someone on here asks what brand of rod someone would recommend for a certain reel and they even lists rod specs they want, im convinced half the people are just naming stuff they own, use, and like without taking into consideration what the person is asking for, people recommending rods that dont even come in the specs the person listed as wanting in the rod, ive seen this a thousand times on here. and that is another part of the reason i cant fall into the mantra of people claiming you need to have this or that to catch a frog fish, or jig fish, or worm fish, or swimbait fish or whatever. its one thing to want a variety of rods because you dont want to be tying on a new lure every half an hour, but some get way to specific in what the rods for, when in fact i could probably use that rod for almost everything

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on what type of rod to use and when, but just general statements. I have used everything from Shimano Cumara reactions, to All Star Big Boys, to my Current Dobys, all in different power and actions. In the really thick stuff the Cumara did not work, in the more open water scenarios the Big Boy seemed to rip to big of holes in smaller fish, so whatever floats your boat. Nevertheless, you are correct about power and actions.