I currently own an Avid 7' MH/F rod that I got using the upgrade program last month. When the rod came in it felt tip heaby, but I wanted to fish with it to make sure I didn't like it. I fished with it and, yup, I dont like it. That thing feels like it weighs a ton in my hand. So, I was wondering if I upgrade to the LTB if that will solve the current problem, tip heavyness. Is the LTB a better balance rod, such as a Dobyns? I love my Dobyns Savvy, but this Avid cost more and feels alot cheaper! Should I upgrade? Is it worth it?

I currently own an Avid 7' MH/F rod that I got using the upgrade program last month. When the rod came in it felt tip heaby, but I wanted to fish with it to make sure I didn't like it. I fished with it and, yup, I dont like it. That thing feels like it weighs a ton in my hand. So, I was wondering if I upgrade to the LTB if that will solve the current problem, tip heavyness. Is the LTB a better balance rod, such as a Dobyns? I love my Dobyns Savvy, but this Avid cost more and feels alot cheaper! Should I upgrade? Is it worth it?

Avid's 15-1/4" handle length, as apposed to your Dobyns if it has the split grip it is only 13-1/2" handle length. The difference in length will add the weight (more cork) your feeling. If that Avid was built with the split grip the rod would be about the same weight. As far as tip heavy IMHO all stock factory rods are slightly tip heavy. To balance out the angler will have to add either a slightly larger (weight) reel, or some other weight to the butt section of the rod.

The LTB is a split grip rod running the grip length of the Dobyns, and would be a little lighter in the same length. But would probably still be slightly tip heavy..

Just the thoughts of a custom builder....

Good Luck & Tight Lines! :fishing1:

Thanks .RM I appreciate it. I currently have a Pflueger Trion on it, which is my heaviest reel, but it still feels tip heavy.

Looks like a new St. Croix will be coming shortly...guess I'll try the LTB.

Or sell it and get another Dobyns.... Its funny.... I used to be a die hard St Croix fan but.... I never owned a rod 7' or longer. They all felt tip heavy to me. Since I made the switch, the bulk of my rods are 7' or longer and I don't get that feeling. Dobyns is doing something right that other companies have yet to pick up on. All my St Croix stuff is gone and I couldn't be happier with their replacements.

I agree that Dobyns are one step ahead of the rest, but I can get an LTB for $40 through the upgrade program were as I would take a cut selling the Avid.